Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2006, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Little Wonder Blower Question

Hi,
Newbie here. My husband runs a small Lawn service business (16 accounts). He started the business in March 06 so this will be his first leaf season and he is shopping for equipment.

He was looking at an 8hp Little Wonder WB blower for $900. I asked him to find out the price of a 13hp. He says he can get the 13hp for $1400 but he is very concerned about how much heavier it will be.

I checked on the Little Wonder website and it appears that the 13hp HO (honda) is 110 lbs. and the 8hp HO (briggs) is 149 lbs. Does it make sense that the higher HP model would weigh less?

Also - are the prices he was quoted fair?

Thank you.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I Use 8hp Lw And Like It For The Money! I Paid 875.00 For Mine In Fall 04. I Don't Have The Option Of Shopping Around I Have To Buy What I Can At One Shop Or Go On A Three Hour Round Trip. I Would Like A Swivel Tire Out Front It's Worth The Money !
Old 09-15-2006, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Honestly, the 8hp would be fine for power. We have a 10hp and it's almost too much power in places. As far as the weight, who cares, its not like your lifting it up the larger tires make it very manuverable.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 09-15-2006, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I recommend that you go with the Force. http://www.billygoat.com/site/intro.aspx?pid=49 It's lighter, quieter, and the most powerful out there. I've used LW (10 hp) and they are loud and not easy to push. They simply weigh too much. They are powerful but the new Force has them beat. I got my 9 hp Subaru Force for $999 after mail in rebate. I didn't care for the mail in rebate but I got my $75 check a couple weeks ago so it wasn't bad.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Little Wonder Blowers

I currently have a brand new Little Wonder 10HP push blower that I just bought in NH for $950. No leaves to experiment with but i blew some debris and I am already convinced. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL-PRO LANDSCAPE CO.
I currently have a brand new Little Wonder 10HP push blower that I just bought in NH for $950. No leaves to experiment with but i blew some debris and I am already convinced. Good luck.
ALL-PRO, you will love it! It's got more power than you really need but its awesome moving a 6'x10' pyle of leaves in seconds. If your blowing straight ahead don't let the machine go unattended- it will blow itself backwards in a split second and send you running for it. NO I never did this but the dealer I bought it from did to show me the power and he was running after it after he turned away to answer one of my questions.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 09-15-2006, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I called little wonder and the 13hp HO weights 171, the weight on there site is a mistake. The 13hp billy goat force is 161. I ordered the force. I just returned a 9hp force the other day. I had it for about 2 minutes. I compared it to my 16 y.o 11hp giant vac and they were pretty much the same. I would not even consider the 8hp.
If you husband is like me then he does most, if not all the work himself and needs to finish quick to go to his regular job. Therefore you need good equipment. Get the bigger blower, you will be happy. I have been pushing my 11hp giant vac for 16 years on my 12-15 accounts and I want something more powerful, not less. I want to finish even faster.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes Clydesdale, my husband currently does 99% of the work himself and he also works another part-time job so completing his accounts as efficiently and easily as possible is important, which is why I suggested the higher hp model.

Thanks for the clarification on the weight, it didn't make sense to me.

We will look into the Billy Goat model as well.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have the 13hp Billygoat and like the feature where you can change the exhaust directions up/down with lever. Our unit is two years old and a little heavy for pushing through the lawn but looks like the new units are lighter. We had a 9hp and took it back since we didn't think it was significantly better than a big back pack.....13hp is certainly better than back pack.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

We have both 8's and a couple 13's. The Honda engines are by far superior to the B&S engines. As for needing less velocity, just throttle down. If you need the power to move heavy material, youll have it. Go with the 13!