Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2006, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Freightliner trucks

Well I was thinking today about a new mowing setup and thought of Freightliner trucks... Get a 18'-20' van body truck and run that instead of a $20K truck and a $7K enclosed trailer. The truck should run for 500K miles with a little work and you probably won't be putting tons of miles each year. You can pick them up much cheaper than a good truck and not have to buy an enclosed trailer. All you would need to do is letter and make a ramp.

I'm not in the position to make this move but I can see it happening in the next 2-3 years. Does anybody know about how long these trucks would last and what kind of gas mileage your looking at? What do you know about these trucks?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...mZ280025583302
Old 09-17-2006, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

what about navigating and parking that behemoth in a residential neighborhood? Quite a few guys around here have bought up old Ryder/uhaul trucks and converted them into mowing rigs, AFAIK they aren't diesel though. they run with the rear door up and have a big fold down ramp that acts as a vented door, then at the end of the day they lock the real door down.

I might look into a switch'n go system this way you could put a flatbed or dump bed on the back when you're not mowing.

edit, also that truck has a GVW of 32.5K which would require a CDL (anything over 25,001lb in CT)
Old 09-17-2006, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have a cube van, and I hate driving it because of the huge blind spots, and its regular van mirrors.

I wouldn't like driving a truck that big in a neighborhood.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hear you about parking, but it should be about the same length as a 18' enclosed trailer and truck which a lot of guys run around here...

I was looking for one under 26,000 lbs so no CDL... Isn't that correct?
Old 09-17-2006, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

oh boy a crapliner fl-70 where to begin lol......local building supply place has a fl-70 with a 16' dumping deck and the driver i know hates driving it,the shifting blows,its a fuel hog its hard to drive around the city way too many blind spots.

2 years ago we had one with a 7 yard dump at work and every time i hit a pot hole i'd pay for it with the air ride system oh the memories and the sore head.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

hmmm... etwman seems to rave about his fl-70's.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We use a Hino truck with a 16ft box. Before this we used a pickup and a 7X16 trailer. This truck is easier to drive and maneuver in tight neighborhoods than the truck and trailer.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2006, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i think the freights going to be a little long i see a few guys around her with E350 cubes and they run just fine
Old 09-17-2006, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I was in school for CDL training, the tractor trailer set-up they had was a newer freighliner business class tractor. It had a 475 C15 cat and a super 10 in it.

Personally, I loved getting behind the wheel and drving it. I have driven the smaller freightliners as well for test drive purposes and they seemed to shift ok. I would definitly recomend a truck thats air ride with air brakes as they ride a lot smoother IMO. The new Business class M2's C&C with the mercedes diesels seem to be popular around me. Several roofing companies and general contractors have been getting them.

I have heard very good things when it comes to the Mercedes diesel fuel economy. A moving company said the M2 engine gets better fuel economy then the dt466 in their international of equivilant weight specs.
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 09-18-2006, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why not get a GMC/Isuzu like the one in this thread:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=109885

Except, from the advice of this owner, get the box bed with dovetail instead of the open bed for security and weather concerns.

I know this operator and it is a great truck and a great setup. I do not know the milage on this truck, but I know Phil got it new and has had no problems with it and it rolls 5-6 days a week, year around all day long. I think he mentions the milage in the thread as well and he says it does navigate much better in tight neightborhoods over a truck/trailer set-up.

Serving the Greater Savannah Area
www.tlc-lawncare.com