Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Sponsor

Please tell me what you think!

Hi,

I am one of the sponsers for this site and I would like some feedback if possible. I had my site designed to mimick most of the other printing sites but am wondering if a simpler approach would be better.

Im thinking I may have it changed to where you pick a template you like and then you would just fill in your name, number, business name, slogan, etc. I would be in charge of the placement, font size, font type instead of you having to worry about it.

Please let me know if you would like this approach instead of what I currently have. Also, let me know of anything I can add to my site to improve the ease of use.

I will pick one of the people that offer their opinions a chance to participate in my up comming giveaway. Trust me, it will be very worth it to you!

www.paramountadvertising.com

joseph@paramountadvertising.com

Happy customers so far:
-GriffinLawnService: "Thanks for the cards they exceeded my expectations in every way."
Old 09-17-2006, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Spelling

I am going to use flyers to try to tighten up my routes this winter, and I really like simple, but in addition to font size are you also in charge of spell check? and by the way I am a terrible speller so I might be wrong.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

One quick thing (no time tonight, maybe I can take a closer look tomorrow) but you have a 2 day "revisit" tag. Change that right away to at least 30 days. The search engines will penalize you big-time if they come back every two days and the content hasn't substantially changed. You should never use less than 30 (or maybe 15 for an active site) unless it's something like a blog where the content is different every time the "robot" comes back.
Also
<META NAME="Description" CONTENT="desc here">
<META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="keys here">
will show what is between the quotes, use a keyword analyzer to get your keywords in there and put in a description and a title tag before the search engines find you and give you a listing that says:

Welcome to Paramount Advertising
desc here...

At a glance I kind-of wonder about the combination of a professional looking style & functionality site design with the "notepad" & kid's handwriting font, sometimes a contrast like that works for you sometimes it backfires. But to me it just didn't give a "professional" look at a glance...and the "glance" is very important.

I'll also think about your other question on concept; at first glance it's kind-of confusing with the combination of templates, upload my own, or "you do it", like I can't really figure out what you want me to do... (and I noticed on the FAQ page the fonts are off-size and it's never a good idea to say "nothing makes us different" even though I realize it is sarcasam it's because I was reading for a reason, a potential customer might not, "you only get one chance to make a first impression" and if they don't get the sarcasam that becomes a negative.)

Last edited by WebMan; 09-17-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:48 AM
Sponsor

mak2,

Under the current system you are responsible for spell check.

Webman,

I completely understand with the notepad on the first page. I was trying to have it stand out so visitors would read that right away, but I know it doesnt look professional at all.

I had a good friend design the site that was supposedly a "professional", I may have an actual company design the site though.

Happy customers so far:
-GriffinLawnService: "Thanks for the cards they exceeded my expectations in every way."
Old 09-19-2006, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Paramount - I can offer a little advise as far as asthetics go.

Adding to what Webman said: The notepad thing on the homepage is sort of a catchy idea, as is the animation on the left coloum. These two items however, don't blend with any of the rest of the site (not just color, but they don't seem to "fit" once you start browsing the rest of the site). I think that the notepad could be toned down a bit for a better result - can you make it tan or manila colored?

I also think that the background color should be uniform for all pages. It is white on the homepage, but grey on all of the sub pages.

Information-wise the site looks fine. Just a couple of changes could really get it looking good.

- BD
Old 09-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Sponsor

I appreciate all replies!

I guess the general opinion is that I should look like everyone else. Ive requested quotes in the past few days but no one has gotten back to me yet. I really dont understand how people stay in business when they cant even communicate with future and current customers!

If anybody knows of a good design company that actually responds to calls and emails please pm me.

Would anyone like to try designing their own business card on my site to let me know if that is user friendly? Most sites are using this approach but I want to make sure my site is easy enough for a computer illiterate person.

Rember I will be picking one person that replys to this thread a chance to be in my upcomming giveaway!

Happy customers so far:
Old 09-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Sponsor

I guess what the real question I have is: Would you purchase products from my company with the look of the website? What can I do that would make you want to buy?

Happy customers so far:
Old 09-19-2006, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't think you need to make your site "look like the rest", but it should have some consistancy from page to page. This is a basic concept when designing pages, especially commercial sites.

- BD
Old 09-23-2006, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You could always go to http://designoutpost.com/ and have someone design a template for you. http://www.webdesignsbyjeff.com/ did my site. He is very reasonable.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry but 2 pages for $250 is FAR from "reasonable". The prices are also high for additional elements like Flash & Animations and he limits graphics on a page for some reason...glad you are happy but I always advise people to not use any designer or company for anything (hosting, design, whatever) that charges by the page.
Simple reasoning, some people need a lot more on a page than others, so people with small pages pay too much since those type prices are always set to cover the costs for people with large pages.

You didn't list your site so I don't know if it was a good deal or not but do you price lawn care "per lawn"? Or are there different prices depending if I want edging & extra trimming and my yard is an acre and a half instead of 50' X 100'?