Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-19-2006, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

really all i can say is to tear it down and look at the mechanical timing, make sure the cam is not bent. if that looks ok then i think you need to remove the head again and remove the valves and roll them on a flat surface to see if they are bent. adjust both valves on top dead center of the compression stroke. you didn't answer this - do you remember lining up the referrence marks on the crank and cam gear?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

timing

to be truthful I didn't know there were reference marks. I put the piston at the farthest back position and then the camshaft had 3 holes in it and I lined up the center hole with the crankshaft. Not hard to tear into the engine again just time consuming in removing from mower and taking off the electric clutch and drive pulley.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i just needed to know. i didn't want to tell you to tear it apart if you had the marks lined up. so now it needs to be. it won't take you as long this time because you know how to do it. already you have shown that you can do it. we all get things wrong.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

timing

Yea I was suprised how easy it really was. I always thought it was hard but there are not that many parts. But I suppose a twin cylinder would be alot harder.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

not harder but heavier!
Old 09-20-2006, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

timing

thank you for the advice. If I have any more questions I'll post them.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I Had to pull the flywheel off to get the crankshaft out so I could replace the main bearing. The key was fine and I re-installed it with the flywheel
Old 02-04-2007, 04:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Kawaski Engine timing

Sorry, it's been so long. I lined up the timing marks like you told me and it wants to start but it back fire thru the carb. Does this mean I have the timing 180 degrees off? Where sould the piston be in relation to the cam shaft when I line the 2 dots up. If I have the piston at the short stroke then the intake valve should be open aal the way ?. I finally gave up on it back in September and bought a new mower but I have time now and it is a personal quest to get it running again. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

The cam drive gear on the crank it self could have moved on the crank. Have seen this on two differnt engines that have locked up. Since this gears a press on and have no pin line them up. Best way to check is to compair with a known good crank. hope this isn't the case but it could drive one crazy chasing this down. Spin the engine by hand with valve cover off and see if valves a are in time with the coming up on compression stroke.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It is true that the cam drive gear is a press fit but as I recall from previous tear down it is press fit with a key. Parts breakdown also verifies this. SHS, what did you find internally in the situations where the cam drive gear was dislocated?