Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-21-2006, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsylvain
I'm not really seeing the fatigue factor. I mean we used to mow 12-14 hours a day with nothing but belt drive toro t-bars 5 days a week and we will still all go out to bars and such after work and come back in at 6:00 the next morning and do it all over. You spend so much time sitting in the truck going from job to job. I feel a lot more tired running a bobcat for 6 hours than I do mowing for 10 and you sit in a bobcat. Yes on big jobs say over an Acre you may get a little worn out, but on your average residential yard? There is no doubt that a 60" ztr is going to cut more grass in less time than a 48" walk behind, but is it worth it? Would it not be better to spend the extra money on a part time employee to help out here and there? No one has any actaul cost data of what the true cost of a ZTR is?
A question to your question

Are you talking cost per hour or costs per square area (acre, square foot)

But how many acres per day per machine did you cut?

See, the question can be twisted in many different directions, depending on weither you are paid per visit per hour per season or per acre
Old 09-21-2006, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cost per whatever would be as good as anything. It doesn't really matter to me, as long as I have the information. Are you saying your cost is $23.00 per acre total, or per machine? How long does it take you to mow the 25 acres in hours? What are you including in the cost?

thanks.

Last edited by lsylvain; 09-21-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Cost per whatever would be as good as anything. It doesn't really matter to me, as long as I have the information. Are you saying your cost is $23.00 per acre total, or per machine? How long does it take you to mow the 25 acres in hours? What are you including in the cost?

thanks.
Do you plan to do lawn service as your livelihood or long term? I am talking for long long years to come? If so, ask no question, the Z is your best investment. WB is just supplementary to Z. period. Sweat on bush-trimming is enough doing 40+ accounts, the mowing has to be no sweat.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

thanks.
Cost is $23 per each machine,That is the total cost per acre. How do I divide the cost of driving to pick up diesel fuel for the mower and the trucks and assign it the the unit, by the litre or by the trip? ie if I buy 200 litres of fuel 70 for the mower and 130 for the truck, do I charge 70/200 of the drive to the fuel station to the mowers and 130/200 of the cost of the drive to the fuel station to the truck, or do I simply split it in half?

SHORT VERSION

I only cost out against revenue producing equipment. A truck in summer is equipment that supports other equipment. The cost of the truck is a piece of the cost of the mower delivered to the job site to work.

It takes a two person crew a 10 hour day to mow 25 acres.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTR
Do you plan to do lawn service as your livelihood or long term? I am talking for long long years to come? If so, ask no question, the Z is your best investment. WB is just supplementary to Z. period. Sweat on bush-trimming is enough doing 40+ accounts, the mowing has to be no sweat.
AMEN AMEN !
Old 09-21-2006, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

.... This has been an interesting discussion. We should have more of these.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather lawn sp
Cost is $23 per each machine,That is the total cost per acre. How do I divide the cost of driving to pick up diesel fuel for the mower and the trucks and assign it the the unit, by the litre or by the trip? ie if I buy 200 litres of fuel 70 for the mower and 130 for the truck, do I charge 70/200 of the drive to the fuel station to the mowers and 130/200 of the cost of the drive to the fuel station to the truck, or do I simply split it in half?

SHORT VERSION

I only cost out against revenue producing equipment. A truck in summer is equipment that supports other equipment. The cost of the truck is a piece of the cost of the mower delivered to the job site to work.

It takes a two person crew a 10 hour day to mow 25 acres.
So you are saying that the $23.00 an acre includes all your cost, phone bill, gas, insurance, labor?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
So you are saying that the $23.00 an acre includes all your cost, phone bill, gas, insurance, labor?
. . . yes . . .
Old 09-21-2006, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
This is what I kept running into when I was looking at getting a ztr before. I would say on about 90% of my jobs I would still either have to pull the w/b off the trailer to do at least some portion of the property or use the w/b all together. From what I am gathering unless most of your jobs are "perfect" for the ztr you are just going through a lot of extra steps and money just to be able to sit down instead of stand. I would really love it though if we could get some more time and cost data from people.
This was a problem I had when I was contemplating buying my first Z. I started out with a 36 Metro. The 48 Lazer HP made a HUGE, let me say that HUGE difference. I cut times literally in half with the Z.

Once I got the Z, I found myself "shopping" for customers where I was only using the Z.

The Z paid for itself the first season. The increase in productivity is just tremendous. With just the 36, I was mowing like 9 yards a day and was just compeletly whooped. With the Z there have been days I could rip out 22 yards and not be tired at all.

I now have a 60 in Lazer Z as well, thats my money maker now. The difference between that and the 48 hp is pretty big as well.

I figured out I do about 60 yards on a fill up with the big Z. It cost me $33.00 to fill it up. So the revenue I bring in from one fill up is about $1800.

Bottom line, the 36 Metro stays on the trailer or at home as much as possible. When I fill it up, it lasts me about 6 weeks.

Now a days, If I cannot ride the whole thing, I dont even bid on it.

just my $0.02.....

Stop thinking about it so much and just go by a Z, there is a reason everybody uses them. Especially in FL.......................
Old 09-21-2006, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am completely sold on Z mowers.
My 36" "WB" is a ZTR.

Yesterday I cut (alone) 23 lawns, most are 1/4 acre lots, but 2 are 1 acre.
36 Z on all but 4 of the 1/4 acres
60Z on 2 of those and on the 2, 1 acre properties
21 push on two tiny lots that even the 36 Z is too big for.

I rather doubt I will own a WB again. No hills in Florida and the retention swales would be the only place I can see are real use, but I would get a stander if I needed to do that kind of work.