Register free!

Old 09-18-2006, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

overseeding question

I did my first overseeding job today. I rented a Bluebird and it sliced some areas nice and other areas it barely touched the soil. I had it on the lowest setting too. Is this normal? I'm hoping the seed will germinate.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan
I did my first overseeding job today. I rented a Bluebird and it sliced some areas nice and other areas it barely touched the soil. I had it on the lowest setting too. Is this normal? I'm hoping the seed will germinate.
Thats funny that you say that Keegan....I also rented a bluebird 2 weeks ago and had the same problem....(as in barely touching the soil) but I was doing my own yard...I have someone coming tomorrow to reseed the places that are bare...I will post some pics of it...
Old 09-18-2006, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

is this a issue common to all walk behind slit seeders?
Old 09-19-2006, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Missing slits

Gentlemen,
Unless the lawn is "pool table" flat and smooth you will experience areas that aren't sliced. All brands use a fixed head for the blades. What this means is if the slicing width is 20" and you set it to slice 1/8" deep it will slice the same depth along that 20" on a flat surface. If there is a spot that is even 1/4" lower than the wheels there will be no slits in that spot. Conversely if the wheels go into a low spot the slits may be deeper than the initial setting.
In a nut shell it is the "nature of the beast" for this to happen. That is one of the reasons it is recommended that you make two passes at 45 degree angles to each other.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like the tines are worn out. Very common wiyh rental units.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

cross seeding??

Thats the reason cross seeding is so important, If the machine isnt hitting the bare areas in one direction it will usually get the bare areas in the other direction.Make sure when your working in areas with grass an bare spots to cut the lawn short before seeding an this will help out seeding the bare patches !!If i have a lawn with alot of bare patches sometimes it is just as quick to hand seed those bare patches just to make sure they are covered , have fun george