Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2007, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how much for a plow?

i know i would have better luck posting this question on plowsite but im not gunna go through the registration process just to ask one question

so my question is this...what is the ballpark price to have a plow put on (getting the mount installed and controls in the cabin)? all i need is a simple straight edge plow that i can use for residential (almost all the driveways i do only fit 2 cars in them)

the truck i have now is an 89 f250, but next year im looking to get a 95-98 f150 and that is the truck that i want the plow on.

doesnt matter what brand or anything and the size i need is no larger than 96"

thanks

CLEAR-CUT Lawn & Landscape
Old 12-17-2007, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

would you prefer plastic or steel? i will only be using this for about 20 accounts most likely

Old 12-17-2007, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try this: http://www.snowmansnowplow.com/content/view/9/11/

or this

http://www.agricover.com/index.php/p.../category/C25/
Old 12-18-2007, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear-Cut View Post

so my question is this...what is the ballpark price to have a plow put on (getting the mount installed and controls in the cabin)?

doesnt matter what brand or anything and the size i need is no larger than 96"
thanks
About $4K new. Then a couple hundred for lights, you may want backup lights and beacons. Good snow tires are important, for maybe $600. A tow strap, winch, and shovels are handy. Brand of plow is important, you need to know that you can get it repaired on the spot. In my town, there is a mechanic that stays open 24hrs during storms, but he only stocks parts for two brands. So I bought one of those 2.

Then a couple hundred per year repairing the truck from beating the cr@p out of it.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 12-18-2007, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good advice from hackitdown...I would only buy one that you know you can get serviced. I've needed those late night repairs done, and it is a god-send to have a shop open to help you out. Make friends with a shop that stays open during storms!
One thing I should add, the F150 is a little light for plowing. I learned that the hard way when I bought my '93 F150. You can get one of the lighter weight plows like the SnoWay or Meyer that may work for you. I had the SnoWay on my F150 and it was a very good plow, and the down pressure was a nice feature. But I ended up needing a lot of expensive repairs that could have been avoided if I had bought a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks a lot hackitdown that the exact info that i needed

other than that i will have to call around to some mechanics. who would i look for in the yellow pages for plow repair? are these just regular mechanics that service your plows or dealers?

you think i would be better off just buying an old beat up truck with a plow on it already for like $1500-$2000 and just use it for plowing? lol only thing i would be worried about is breaking down

yea i was think with the f150 i would be better off with the plastic or poly (whatever its called) plow unless it is heavy duty with the upgraded suspension

Old 12-18-2007, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
are these just regular mechanics that service your plows or dealers?
Usually a truck body place, or a welder, or a trailer mechanic would be the place you want. Your best bet is to ask some plow guys nearby who they go to.

Quote:
you think i would be better off just buying an old beat up truck with a plow on it already for like $1500-$2000 and just use it for plowing? lol only thing i would be worried about is breaking down
Tough call. I have one truck for all uses. It is a matter of opinion.

Quote:
yea i was think with the f150 i would be better off with the plastic or poly (whatever its called) plow unless it is heavy duty with the upgraded suspension
The problem with the 1/2 ton truck is that the plow companies will fit a 7.5" plow on them to save weight. When you get a lot of snow, sometimes you have to angle the plow to plow a driveway. When you angle the plow, it plows a narrower path. It is hard to back up a pickup down that narrow path, and hard not to get stuck in snow. In other words, because you are plowing a path for your own truck, wider is better.

Around here, everyone ends up with a 3/4 or 1 ton for driveways, or 1 ton dually for plowing commercial or roads. One guy I have seen uses a jeep with a little plow for driveways.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 12-19-2007, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yea i am always seeing jeeps for sale with plows...i personally think it would be a hell of a lot easier to use tht for driveways just because a jeep is probably a little less than half the length of most trucks lol

and i can definitely see your point with the truck getting stuck if the snow is deep enough

idk im going to start looking around next spring for a plow so i have some time to do some more research. for now i got the information that i need. thanks for your help hackitdown