The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2007, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Romney fires landscaper over illegals

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071205/...gal_immigrants
Old 12-05-2007, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck to him on his hunt for a new landscaper. His only hope is to get a solo LCO.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, the news said this morning that they figured 1 in 4 landscape outfits have illegals........but it sounds like Ole Mitt warned them at least once---that or its good air time! Just glad its not my company name being splashed all over the radio today----all those people driving to work listening on the Mass turnpike---wonder how much they were tagging Mitt for??

He seems like a $20/cut kinda guy.......don't forget, he had overall responsibility for the big dig..no matter how he tries to side step it. Wonder if he got a new concrete drive with some of the spoils of that substandard concrete??
Old 12-05-2007, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Good for Rommney!!!!

Good for Rommney!!! When it comes time for me to hire someone I will absolutely be doing a background check and a ssn check along with it. I would rather pay a citizen of the U.S.A. $30 per hour than an illegal at all.

GULLIANNI, 08'
Old 12-05-2007, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What a phony, I guess he feels so strongly now because his every move is watched. But these guys benefit as much as anybody else from the cheap illegal workers. I was taking care of a property for a local assemblyman (now Congressman) and he cancelled his service before the fall came and had two illegals clean up his yard. What a patriot!
Old 12-05-2007, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

illegals everywhere but im votng for ex gov huck illegals need go home have same problem in ok an ark
Old 12-05-2007, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@TLCS View Post
Good for Rommney!!! When it comes time for me to hire someone I will absolutely be doing a background check and a ssn check along with it. I would rather pay a citizen of the U.S.A. $30 per hour than an illegal at all.
That all sounds nice. All I can say is good luck on your search for employees. I have never worked an illegal employee. But most all of the larger LCos do employee them, at least in my area. Take their illegals away, and over half of their work force is gone. I guess you MIGHT find a good legal employee for $30 per hour, but add in all the extra insurance, worker's comp, taxes, etc. and watch what happens to your profit. Unless you charge your customers $100 per man hour, then it could work out for you. I will come work for you for $30/hour. I have one heck of a resume.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

At least they plastered the name of the company for the whole nation to see...

Community Lawn Service of Chelsea, Mass

Hey...

Are they on these forums ??

Sure wouldn't want that to be my name in the news - how about you ??

Really, it's true - you reap what you sow.

No sympathy needed.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 12-06-2007, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

What I want to know and I'm no liberal, why did he not call INS like a good lawmaker should. They were breaking the law and just got fired. Should have been arrested.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Funny Warren, I was thinking the same thing .

Nate, go ahead and check the SSN's, that's not going to get you very far because most of them have a legal number, it just may not be their number and you have no way to find out. That's how companies of any size get away with hiring illegals, the whole thing is a big farce. As long as a worker provides you with a valid SSN it's a done deal and the company is following proper hiring procedures and everything is perfectly legal.

Then the politicians come out and say they are going to crack down on companies hiring illegals. Great, they sure as hell aren't going to chase around a couple of guys in a pick up truck with a lawn mower, so they go check TGCL, Asplundh, and the bigger operators and sure enough everyone has a valid number.

That's how the game works. This is a true story, back in my tree work days, one of the guys I worked with was "legally" working under a friends valid SSN. His friend comes to apply for a job with our company...but on paper he already works there. My groundman leaves on Friday afternoon and shows up on Monday with a different "legal" SSN. On paper the only thing that happened was a new guy applied for a job on Monday morning. They contacted the company attorney and he told them that company has fulfilled their obligation to obtain a legal SSN from the worker and they have no further exposure, send the guys to work and that's the end of it.