Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-14-2007, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinfan06 View Post
Well IMO could of saved about 7 pages of replies if in the original post you would have stated that you told them it might change, big difference IMO.
Well, anyone could have asked for more details, after my first post.
But, I did mention it on page 2.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I still think, if you decide option 3, that at least as often as not you will end up with a customer who will either become demanding, or a talker (the kind that comes out when you're there, and wastes however much time chit chatting). Doesn't really matter what you say or said, sometimes to tell them it might be more in advance is just as daring a move, too, but I do agree that is not a bad idea but then if you've already given yourself that option then you really did not underbid, now did you?

We'd have to be complete utter morons not to increase the price when we realize it's going to cost more, WHEN you've already kept that option open and the customer has pre-agreed, heck you really didn't underbid here in my book, you were just hoping you could get it done for less but it didn't work out, that's a whole different scenario from a "dude did I foul this up or what?"

If you fouled it up so be it, but I'm not so sure option 3 is such a great 'in the know' idea either. You're just asking for it, this is the type of thing that breeds that crap, the tactic spawns a demon in their mind and what they end up doing is quenching that little demon's thirst at your expense. You quote too low a price now they had their mind set to that price, then all of a sudden it's more, fine, but even if they agree you still may have ruined this customer, if nothing else their mind set is all wrong now.

This is also why it is important to give the right price in the first place, add the crap up at least 2 but I prefer 3 separate ways, that way you can be somewhat sure you got it, all I'm saying. Even then it happens, oh well.

Because this is what I know, you decide but you always have to be careful.

Last edited by topsites; 12-14-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, once you give the customer a quote ALL He Hears is that price, you can tell him upfront it may go up but in his mind you already told him it will be X amount and thats what he Expects to pay, raise it after and 1. the customer wont be happy and 2. you may lose the account. thats why i Always say if you give a Quote then stick with your price for that season and raise it the following season if need be. if you underbid the yard then i would suck it up for this season and raise it next year, i mean if you bid MORE and finish faster then you expected you won't Lower your price would you ? so i say stick to the price you quoted for the one season then you can raise it next season
Old 12-16-2007, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_005 View Post
...so i say stick to the price you quoted for the one season then you can raise it next season
Have you ever done this, and kept the customer the second year at the increased price?
Old 12-16-2007, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
Have you ever done this, and kept the customer the second year at the increased price?
yes, i have raised my prices at the beginning of the season and kept all my accounts, they understand prices go up, but what they tend to have a hard time with is when you raise the price after a week or two, when you give them the inital quote thats the price they hear and expect to pay for that season, raiseing it after a week or two does not make for happy customers. so i still say when you give a quote stick to the price you give for that season and raise it the next season if you need to.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm so glad that losing money for the rest of the season, and waiting until next year to make money, has worked for you. I prefer to make money every time I work. My customer in this instance had no problem with my price adjustment, he even told me he expected it, although I wouldn't have cared if he dropped my services after the increase. It would have given me more time for profitable work.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i'm curious now, do you have someone else give out the quotes for you ? or do you give the quotes ? i mean as long as you;ve been doing this you still underbid ?
Old 12-18-2007, 06:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, many of the rocks were covered by tall grass, as the place was overgrown at first. That's why I told him it may be more.
Everyone makes mistakes, a professional learns to deal with them.