Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2006, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I get calls for lawns that havent been cut in a while, I will usually bump up the price a bit and explain to the customer that it wil take extra time. They usually dont have a problem.

On other odd properties, I wil tell the customer a slightly higher price and also explain the price MIGHT change BUT I CAN GURANTEE IT WONT RISE BY MORE THAN $10/ per cut. I have only used that policy about 4 or 5 times and actually, the property was intimidating because it took a lot LESS time than I was planning.
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 09-21-2006, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When you give a price for a first time in awile cut how much do you mark up the first cut? (using a $35 yard for example)
Im not talking about one that needs/wants landscaping just mow trim edge blow
Old 09-21-2006, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
I said sell the account- theres always some new lco willing to give you $100 for a customer. This way you profit from signing the customer.
don't say he sign them to a con. how can you sell!
Old 09-21-2006, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noseha
don't say he sign them to a con. how can you sell!
Quote:
QUOTE=noseha
#4 do you have someone to give acct. too?

same way you can "give acct. too"

Old 09-21-2006, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

been there done that...

Yes we have done it a few times.We just ate it for the year and quoted higher the next year. One lawn we told the person we quoted too low and next year we will charge a little more and they offered to pay more this year. That is rare but it worked out good.
Bobcat MT50 with attachments
Kubota loader, mikasa plate tamper 7600#
Kobelco mini excavator
Bobcat T190, Rockhound, ambusher, auger, jackhammer
Ingersoll Rand 185 air comp.
2006 20' Haulmark Enclosed Trailer
2 open trailers, International 26,000# Dump
Lots of mowers and equipment for sale too...
Old 09-22-2006, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noseha
#3 what do you have to loose a cus. that you don't want?
#4 do you have someone to give acct. too?
#5 clean up the lawn for a price!
Can't clean it up without dynamite.
These are "love stones" coming up out of the ground.

I gave the guy a new price, and he said he figured I'd have to raise it, after mowing it a time or two.
Those of you who chose option number 1 would continue the job this year for a price that is too low, and next season you would have to explain an increase of over 40%
At this time, you would likely lose the job, giving yourself time to underbid another lawn.
Number three is the best answer in cases like this.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&R Landscaping
On other odd properties, I wil tell the customer a slightly higher price and also explain the price MIGHT change BUT I CAN GURANTEE IT WONT RISE BY MORE THAN $10/ per cut. I have only used that policy about 4 or 5 times and actually, the property was intimidating because it took a lot LESS time than I was planning.

I agree with this. In all the places I've been, it seems the number 1 complaint of customers of any service company is a company that doesn't keep it's word. Surely when taking on a new yard it can't be too hard to explain that this is a 1-time price only, and the price will be adjusted for future cuts based upon your experience with the 1st cut. That way you may lose on the 1st cut, but you can adjust from there accordingly without going against your word. However, I'm of the firm opinion that if you give your word (sign a year long contract) you live up to it, no matter how bad you underestimated.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

this is how you learn..

you make mistakes and learn from them, but your word should be the most important thing to you, you under bid, its the tough luck rule.....finish the searson and raise it next year....
6 full time
Old 09-22-2006, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy J
... Surely when taking on a new yard it can't be too hard to explain that this is a 1-time price only, and the price will be adjusted for future cuts based upon your experience with the 1st cut. That way you may lose on the 1st cut, but you can adjust from there accordingly without going against your word. However, I'm of the firm opinion that if you give your word (sign a year long contract) you live up to it, no matter how bad you underestimated.
Your profile says you've only been in biz for a year, but, I feel you have a grip on it here. Best answer so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveintoledo
you make mistakes and learn from them, but your word should be the most important thing to you, you under bid, its the tough luck rule.....finish the searson and raise it next year....
Bullshirt, I ain't finishing out the season at a losing price. I told the customer it may change after a mow or two, and it did. There are advantages, as well as disadvantages, to not having signed contracts.

To all of the people who say, "finish the year at a loss, and raise the price next year,"
I ask this, "How many times have you done this, and kept the customer the next year?"
Old 09-22-2006, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
To all of the people who say, "finish the year at a loss, and raise the price next year,"
I ask this, "How many times have you done this, and kept the customer the next year?"
I ask how many have worked at a loss and stayed in business for the "next" year.