Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-23-2006, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer
Then start acting like a business man...In your initial post you say NOTHING...about the price quoted...as being one that may change after the first cut...If you want to act like a business...then you should know how to bid a property...Believe me...I would be glad to be rid of you...You NON-businessman...
I've been insulted by someone who claims to be in business for how long... lets see...

Years in business:

In my initial post, I didn't give all of the details of my conversation with the client, of course I didn't, the post would be too long, and would need explaining to people like you. You should have asked for more details, if the post wasn't clear to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpjumper
Well this IS new, Dave[the kinder gentler one]and I are in complete agreement on this one. By the way Crawdad were the rocks invisible when you walked the property.
Yes. many of them were covered by excessive growth. Any more questions?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

No sir I believe that'll do it for me.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Then start acting like a business man...In your initial post you say NOTHING...about the price quoted...as being one that may change after the first cut...If you want to act like a business...then you should know how to bid a property...Believe me...I would be glad to be rid of you...You NON-businessman...
Sorry there Splicer..crawdad knows more about running this business than you will ever forget
(or something like that)
His answer that #3 IS the correct one. When you give an ESTIMATE for a job it's just that an ESTIMATE..not your word written in blood. No one said anything about a contract in this scenario, of course if you signed a contract with that estimate you have to stick to it.
But your contract should include giving you an out to increase your prices when circumstances warrant an increase due to gas prices and the costs of running your business.
So the point here is not your word as your bond. It is underestimating a job and what you do about it in order to remain solvent and not loose $$ all year on that job because of it.
You inform your customer of your mistake and you give him the new price. If he accepts that fine. If he does not then you cannot continue to work that job as a loss all year. An estimate is just that, and estimate.
The real way to keep this from happening is to cover your butt by informing the customer that there may be circumstances that make the price go up after you mow it the 1st time. Also to fully inspect the lawn and areas you are to mow before spitting a price out of your mouth.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
Sorry there Splicer..crawdad knows more about running this business than you will ever forget
(or something like that)

Now that I've wiped the tears of laughter from my eyes...

Again...the initial post states NOTHING about ESTIMATES IF that is what was meant (unlikely ) that is what should have been written... The initial post states:
Quote:
You mis-priced a job.
He gave a firm price...He is a crybaby that when things don't go his way...he changes the rules...to suit himself...Sheshovel...quit flappin the yapper when you don't know what you are flappin about...
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower

Last edited by Splicer; 09-24-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You think... Mr. Senior Member that Sheshovel is a Platinum Member of this site because she does not know what she is talking about? Think again.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Now that I've wiped the tears of laughter from my eyes...

Again...the initial post states NOTHING about ESTIMATES IF that is what was meant (unlikely ) that is what should have been written... The initial post states: He gave a firm price...He is a crybaby that when things don't go his way...he changes the rules...to suit himself...Sheshovel...quit flappin the yapper when you don't know what you are flappin about...
The initial post said nothing about estimates, and how to give them, because I thought I was talking to pros. My mistake, I didn't account for people like you.

Here's my initial post, so you can re-read it. where did I agree to work for the rest of my life for the same price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad
You mis-priced a job. We've all done it.
You gave a price to mow 35 bucks, and the lawn took way too long, and dulled your blades from all of the rocks. This lawn needs to be at least 50 bucks.
What do you do next?
1)Mow for the rest of the year at the too-low price, and adjust it next year.
2)Stop showing up
3)Give the customer a new price, and take it from there.
Crawdad
I mowed it for the agreed upon price. 35 dollars. That's a days pay, for you, at McDonalds, or wherever your primary job is located.
For future mowings, the price must be higher in order to make money.
Why do you have a problem with that? Why would you mow it at a loss?

I apologize for not giving the full content of the conversation with the new client, I didn't know I was dealing with people here who don't know how to give estimates.

If my initial post was too brief to make a decision, why were you so quick to choose "number 1?" Why didn't you ask questions, as other, more experienced people did?

I didn't get this much trouble from my new client, he didn't give me as much shyt as you did. I could have raised it more than I did, and kept the job.
A bit of advice.
Keep your day job.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
You think... Mr. Senior Member that Sheshovel is a Platinum Member of this site because she does not know what she is talking about? Think again.
It means...you flap your yap alot...is what it means...
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 09-24-2006, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
The initial post said nothing about estimates, and how to give them, because I thought I was talking to pros. My mistake, I didn't account for people like you.
If you admit to estimates not even being an issue or mentioned...why are we discussing estimates???

Quote:
Here's my initial post, so you can re-read it. where did I agree to work for the rest of my life for the same price?
When did I say you did? We were talking about the rest of the season...See??? You do not write what you intended...That is your problem...

Quote:
I mowed it for the agreed upon price. 35 dollars. That's a days pay, for you, at McDonalds, or wherever your primary job is located.
For future mowings, the price must be higher in order to make money.
Why do you have a problem with that? Why would you mow it at a loss?
I have a problem with you not keeping your word because you screwed up...Not the customers fault yet you expect them to pay you for your mistake...Whats to say a month down the road you don't make another 'mistake'...and expect to be able to charge more again??? Where then is your motivation to give a rate that you yourself are satisfied with when all you have to do is raise the price???

Quote:
I apologize for not giving the full content of the conversation with the new client, I didn't know I was dealing with people here who don't know how to give estimates.
You describe yourself to a 'T'...

Quote:
If my initial post was too brief to make a decision, why were you so quick to choose "number 1?" Why didn't you ask questions, as other, more experienced people did?
Who besides yourself said the initial post was too short to make a decision??? I based my answer on the information provided by you in this topics initial post...Plain and simple you did not post ANYTHING other than what you did so why the F would I jump to conclusions as to what you really meant???

Quote:
I didn't get this much trouble from my new client, he didn't give me as much shyt as you did. I could have raised it more than I did, and kept the job.

Quote:
A bit of advice.
Keep your day job.
Don't need your advice to do that!!!

Gotta love the fact you changed your fight to estimates oNLY after shemouth said estimate...C'mon...If you have been in business so long...how come you don't know the difference between a bid and an estimate??? You bid $35.00...Keep your word and don't under bid yourself next time...

Last edited by Splicer; 09-24-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Now you're really grasping.
Please pull your head out of your azz and try again.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Now you're really grasping.
Please pull your head out of your azz and try again.
I'm grasping???

Between you and Ms. It...I haven't laughed so hard...in years!!!

Couldn't you come up with anything better??? Like...You were wrong??? Cause you are you know...