Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2006, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer
Where the F...did you get that from???
Well, you didn't use any words, just them stupid smileys, so I had to do the same thing you did to my initial post, and read it to say what I wanted to hear!
Old 09-24-2006, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad
Well, you didn't use any words, just them stupid smileys, so I had to do the same thing you did to my initial post, and read it to say what I wanted to hear!

Read it however suits you...nothing new in that...
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 09-24-2006, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Splicer
Member Crawdad has many yrs experience, I know this from reading his post and his info.
If your gonna argue with a long time member then you need to be armed with the facts and experience to back up your argument. As much as you want to believe that #1 is the correct answer its can't be. No profit no business!
If you try and run a lawn or landscaping business and lose money because you gave your word you won't last for another yr. When the customer gets use to a low price he will just find another lawn boy to continue the low price the following yr. when you try and raise your rates 40%
Estimates are educated guesses- sometimes there right sometimes there wrong, but then you go back and correct the mistake which Crawdad did.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer

Read it however suits you...nothing new in that...
WTF is wrong with you?
You still think I gave a solid price to the customer, and ripped him off?
Show me where I said I gave him a solid permanant price, or STFU
Old 09-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Senior Moderator

calm down folks, don't think there's much more either of you can say to one another, maybe take a break on this thread.....
Old 09-24-2006, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MajorTom
calm down folks, don't think there's much more either of you can say to one another, maybe take a break on this thread.....
There are still a few smileys he hasn't used on me.
it's your fault, jodi, you wanted me to start some threads, get some discussion going...
Screw this, I'm gonna go start a disagreement with GEO, at least he disagrees politely.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MajorTom
Only cause I like your eye...
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 09-24-2006, 11:10 PM
Senior Moderator

thanks guys for understanding, you're both good guys... well at least splicer is, i'm not sure about that crawdad dude... ha ha, just joking with ya crawdad.
and yes crawdad, getting some discussion going is always good, please continue, 2 measly threads aint enough.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
...As much as you want to believe that #1 is the correct answer its can't be. No profit no business!
If you try and run a lawn or landscaping business and lose money because you gave your word you won't last for another yr. When the customer gets use to a low price he will just find another lawn boy to continue the low price the following yr. when you try and raise your rates 40%
Estimates are educated guesses- sometimes there right sometimes there wrong, but then you go back and correct the mistake which Crawdad did.
While I certainly can't argue with "no profit, no business" Mac, I think what is hanging many of us up is the question of someone's word. I think if the initial bid was given with the understanding that the price was subject to change for whatever reason, then most of us would certainly agree with the price increase. However, I believe that if I go out and inspect the yard, and due to whatever mistake I give a price that doesn't allow me to make money, and the customer accepts my offer, and hires me for the rest of the year, I would certainly live with the price I offered. I agree that if I'm not making money I won't be in business for long. However, I look at the additional business keeping my word will earn me. As well as the additional business going back on my word will cost me. Now granted that's an unknown, and in many cases keeping your word will only get you taken advantage of, but that's an important part of any business to me.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy J
While I certainly can't argue with "no profit, no business" Mac, I think what is hanging many of us up is the question of someone's word. I think if the initial bid was given with the understanding that the price was subject to change for whatever reason, then most of us would certainly agree with the price increase. However, I believe that if I go out and inspect the yard, and due to whatever mistake I give a price that doesn't't allow me to make money, and the customer accepts my offer, and hires me for the rest of the year, I would certainly live with the price I offered. I agree that if I'm not making money I won't be in business for long. However, I look at the additional business keeping my word will earn me. As well as the additional business going back on my word will cost me. Now granted that's an unknown, and in many cases keeping your word will only get you taken advantage of, but that's an important part of any business to me.
Randy,
I only use written contract for a reason they state that the price may change if any conditions change, which can mean a new flower bed to mow around or rocks that I did'nt see.
I'm all for keeping my word and it is golden until it comes to a situation like this.
Keep your word and you end up not making or loosing $$$$$ on the account and you set a price for that 1 person and the neighborhood. So the following yr the neighbors will expect a cheap cut along with your customer. All the explaining in the world will be useless when they can and will find someone else to mow it for $35 after they tell that person thats what they have been paying. I would rather take my chance that the customer would understand the price increase and if they talked the neighbors would know how much to expect, than stand on my word and loose $$$$ and bring the cost of business down in the whole neighborhood. Once its down it takes yrs to build the price back up