Old 10-02-2006, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
Ok Ok OK NOW we are getting into the diff between giving a
Price
Estimate
or a Bid.
You boy's seem a bit confused on this matter so let's get it cleared right up.
Splicer of course does not have to read the yapping and flapping of my jaw..god forbid the guy might want to actually LEARN something here.
OK in some of your views you think this
Giving a PRICE = I have to stick to it no matter what because if I don't then I am ripping off my customer because I told them a price and it was too low so now I will gladly work for FREE for a year, rather than admit to my customer I made a mistake and try to rectify the problem. I will work for no profit for a whole year because my word is my bond and I can't look like I made a mistake by upping my price after the first cut cuz then I might loose the job I am doing for free for the next year.

ESTIMATE = I have no idea what this job will be so I am gonna throw out the first figure that comes into my head and see if they go for it. If I am too low I will eat it but if I am too high I will keep it. my word IS my bond and that's that.

BID = Same thing as a price and the same rules will
apply. Not an estimate though because it is a solid as a price it and can't be changed no matter if I am going broke and paying for the customers work to be done by me rather than the customer actually paying me for the work. Matters not I bid the job wrong and I will slit my wrists rather than adjust my bid. Might make me look like I don't know what I am doin or something.

Real life view of these terms
Giving a
PRICE = Verbal agreement-Telling a customer what you will do the job for and you really think that IS what you will do the job for. BUT once you do the job, if any conditions exist that will increase your labor and or increase your costs, you inform the customer of what those conditions are and what your price is going to have to be adjusted to and you take your chances of them saying nevermind. If you do anything other than that you are not in a business state of being and if you are you will not be for long.

ESTIMATE = Always done on paper-A breakdown of materials and labor costs to do a job for a potential customer. The job can go over or under this estimate depending on unforeseen conditions that you may run into during the job.
It is open to add-ons or changes by the customer during the work but when that happens then you immediately inform the customer that that is not within the original est and you write them up a new estimate including the add-ons or changes. Or you write them up a separate estimate for each job outside the original estimate.They sign it

BID = Always done on paper- Competing with other companies for one large job. They have announced they are accepting bids for a certain amount of time. You find out the description and scope of the job and you write up a bid that will be scrutinized by this company alongside
other companies that do the same kind of work you do.
Only one bid is accepted and if it is yours then you have to stick to that bid for however long the bid and final contract state.
Great post. You're pretty smart, for a girl.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gee thank's and always have to run around here protecting your azz too!
Hey I need to get paid for this huh?
Well won't matter I was late getting back to this thread and everybody has abandoned it so my wonderful wisdom will be a waste of type anyway. That Splicer just pizzed me off when he told me all I was doing was flapping my jaws. How dare him!
He best not let me catch him unawares in a thread.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad
Sir, please show me where I am blaming somone else, or STFU.
You are not making any sense at all.
READ THE THREAD and pay attention to what you wrote!!!

Quote:
I'm not sure which I find to be funnier, the fact that you have a Craftsman, or the fact that you proudly list it in your sig line, along with such items as a dump cart.
Now why did you have to go and cut me like that...Damn man...that just hurts...

And Sheflapper...when someone has something to offer to learn...I gladly learn...So far you just confirmed my prior post about you flappin yer yap just to hear your gums bump...and Crawdud confirms how intelligent he is by quoting not just part...but yes...your ENTIRE post...for the very next post!!!
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 10-02-2006, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
Gee thank's and always have to run around here protecting your azz too!
Hey I need to get paid for this huh?
Well won't matter I was late getting back to this thread and everybody has abandoned it so my wonderful wisdom will be a waste of type anyway. That Splicer just pizzed me off when he told me all I was doing was flapping my jaws. How dare him!
He best not let me catch him unawares in a thread.
Something tells me that won't be difficult.
Don't worry about the cable guy, no one over 16 takes him seriously.

That was a very well written post, but i just had to sneak in a sexist remark, because I know you have a sense of humor.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer
READ THE THREAD and pay attention to what you wrote!!!

Now why did you have to go and cut me like that...Damn man...that just hurts...

And Sheflapper...when someone has something to offer to learn...I gladly learn...So far you just confirmed my prior post about you flappin yer yap just to hear your gums bump...and Crawdud confirms how intelligent he is by quoting not just part...but yes...your ENTIRE post...for the very next post!!!
I did that because I knew it would be on the next page, and some people here are easily confused. (I won't name any names, cable-guy, to avoid embarassing you)
Old 10-02-2006, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cuts like a knife...
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 10-02-2006, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Something tells me that won't be difficult.
Don't worry about the cable guy, no one over 16 takes him seriously.

That was a very well written post, but i just had to sneak in a sexist remark, because I know you have a sense of humor.
Gee your so nice to me. Yes, that kind of remark is not sexist to me anymore. I am much more offended by idiots who refuse to understand just how wonderful I am and acknowledge my greatness in this business. Course I have only been giving prices, estimates and bids for the past 16 years and doing all these landscaping jobs for all that time as well so you know, I am just flapping my mouth I really have no idea what I am talking about because I have boobs and a nice butt and blond hair. Yep just some ditzy chick, rattle brained and stupid as a rock ya know.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds good. I respect you for your mind. Wanna cyber?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Sounds good. I respect you for your mind. Wanna cyber?
looks like you'll be googling by yourself tonight.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnwizards
looks like you'll be googling by yourself tonight.
That's OK. I can handle it.