Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2006, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

compressor thread, yes I seached ha

Ok I read just about every thread with the word "compressor" on the forum and just want to be sure I get it. I realize some of you dont agree with the use of a small compressor and it seems that it is mainly because of the amount of time it takes.

The systems I will be winterizing are small 4-6 zone systems and I will be doing maybe 100-125 systems so It's not cost efficient to rent a tow behind (this year). Now for my question. Is there anything that I need to do, or do different knowing that I am using a smaller compressor? I know the basics of regulating pressure etc.. just looking for some insight from someone who has used a small compressor and might have some tips/guidance. Thanks

BTW: If it helps here are the specs on the compressor I will be using

5.5 hp. Honda GX160 pullstart gas engine, 20 gallon tank, SCFM: 9.0 psi at 90 cfm, 8.5 psi at 110 cfm

Last edited by cochino12; 09-18-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cold humid weather can drive you nuts. Ice can form as the charge of air in the tank and hose moves into the system. Remove any restrictions in the discharge side. Trade in a regular air hose for a larger-diameter garden hose, and don't use any quick-disconnect fittings.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

too small of a machine
Old 09-18-2006, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno, on small residentials, it can work, without too much time being lost because of the compressor size. Anyone who wants to bet that a system in good working order can't be blown out by a smaller compressor is someone who will lose their money. The laws of physics rule, and personal opinions don't matter. If you move the air, the water moves with it.

But once you get beyond the residentials with 3 or 4 rotors a zone, you will want more air. If you have a reel with a plenty of hose on it, that also provides some 'air storage' to increase the initial rush of air. I think they still make those rolling steel garden carts that can hold 150 feet of 3/4 inch garden hose.

Brand new, a good truck-mount compressor will run well over than a grand. One can always try to cobble one together from spare parts, but those spare parts never seem to be nearby, and the shipping on a big compressor pump and/or gas engine gets kind of pricey.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Screw messing will small compressors , the last thing i want to have is not enough compressor.

I line all they blow-outs up and rent a sullair 185 for 3-4 days.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, duh. But once the rental is returned, and the phone rings for one single system, that spare compressor makes you money.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone ever used a 220 volt compressor with a generator? I was thinking about mounting my 60 gal. upright in the back of my truck with a generator. I'm not sure if the generator would power the compressor though.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This should have been called the scrubs blowout thread
Old 09-18-2006, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cush
This should have been called the scrubs blowout thread
Hey cush, sorry you had to waste your time reading, and then responding to this thread. I am not wanting to invest money in a large compressor until I know that its something I enjoy doing (I realize it wont be as easy/efficent with a small compressor). Guess that makes me a scrub. Good day
Old 09-19-2006, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Blowing out a large volume of sprinkler systems every fall is not what I call a real enjoyable experience. However grossing close to a thousand bucks a day has me laughing all the way to the bank. If you were trying to do your own system w a little 5hp I could understand but a hundred, come on rent a big one or work for someone else till you get a real setup. I bought my first 100cfm for $800 so don't think if you don't have at least 5k you can't do it. I'm just saying when you go arround with a little compressor and charge for it you a wasting you and your customers time. I get told stories every year by customers that tell me in the past they hired this guy with this little compressor and it took forever, they had to keep resetting the circit breaker ect. Don't be that guy.