Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-19-2006, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trimmer Guards?

I see alot of guys taking off their line trimmer guards. does this help? If so in what way!
Thanks,DLC
Old 09-21-2006, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughtryLC
I see alot of guys taking off their line trimmer guards. does this help? If so in what way!
Thanks,DLC
If they do alot of tall grass, I can see it helping because it does not get so tangled up. However, i would not remove mine for safety issues as well as teh fact that the line cut off is on the guard and I use it often to balance out the length of the line.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Both my trimmers now have the guards on. A friend of mine who works for a large company told me OSHA said put the guards on or be fined. So I put mine back on. Slows ya down a bit around trees, but thats about it.

6 Years on Lawnsite
Old 09-21-2006, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mine stay on with the line trimmer, come off when I bust out the brush cutter.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Both mine are off as soon as i get them home along with the spark arrestor. I let one get a little dirty so if i need warranty work done i can put it back on real quick. With the guard off it voids the warranty on most models.
36" gravely w/b
2 husqvarna trimmers
2 Husqvarna edgers
Husqvarna 165BT blower
Stihl BR400 blower
Echo hedge trimmer (POS)
Mid 90's JD 14SB 21" W/5HP Kawi
In the future :
52" Toro 400 series ZTR
A used 36" Toro w/b to replace the other two.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Off for me. I tried a couple times to put it back on and it drove me nuts. Not enough line out to do any good with it on and every time u bump feed about an inch comes out, well if you only have a half inch of room before the knife blade the extra gets cut off, sure it's only a half inch or so, but over time it adds up to a lot of wasted line! When having it off, and then replacing it, I noted just how much stuff was hitting me on and off. Honestly I saw NO difference either way.

Warranty schmorranty, I have NEVER had a trimmer quit or break on me within the first couple years at least, and then it's 90% fuel or fuel line issue.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose
Off for me. I tried a couple times to put it back on and it drove me nuts. Not enough line out to do any good with it on and every time u bump feed about an inch comes out, well if you only have a half inch of room before the knife blade the extra gets cut off, sure it's only a half inch or so, but over time it adds up to a lot of wasted line! When having it off, and then replacing it, I noted just how much stuff was hitting me on and off. Honestly I saw NO difference either way.

Warranty schmorranty, I have NEVER had a trimmer quit or break on me within the first couple years at least, and then it's 90% fuel or fuel line issue.

You took the words out of my mouth! This is exactly the same I do! Matter of fact, I used to save the guards in case I needed to take it back to the shop but heck I just threw them all out yesterday as I got tired of looking at them.

I hear all this talk of OSHA and how I may get fined if I take my guards off, or mow without the deflector chute.... I have not heard of one person who has been pulled over by the OSHA police yet! Heck it is my stuff, I should be able to use it how I want to. Maybe it is a different story when you got employees

2008 Toyota Tundra
2009 Wright Stander RH 52"
2008Scag Tiger cub 61"
2006 Husquvarna ZTR 42"
Stihl BR600 blowers
Kawasaki/ echo handhelds

37, Married, 7 year and 1 year old sons , Solo operator, Average 60-70 accounts, mostly residental, Been in business since 1994

When not working I am either flying, boating, jet skiing, or riding my motorcycles

Here is some videos of how I enjoy my time off http://vimeo.com/user2428477/videos
Old 09-21-2006, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rons Rightway Lawncare

I hear all this talk of OSHA and how I may get fined if I take my guards off, or mow without the deflector chute....
is this true?? what are they gonna do next, check the depth of the soles of my boots?

its one thing if you are working in and creating an unsafe work area with civilians directly around you, but that is rare for me.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

when working in residential areas i keep the gaurds on but as soon as i am away from people, the gaurds come off of everything, mower deflector, weedwacker, etc. i leave them on around people because i figure better safe then sorry, not only that if i nail someones window because i don't have a deflector on i will be pi$$ed off at me
as for OSHA it's my stuff
-Toro 32" Riding Tractor
-Jonh Deere Trimmer
-Echo Trimmer
-Echo Backpack Blower
-Redmax EBZ8000 backpack
-Poulan/Weedeater hand held Blower
-Poulan 18" Chainsaw
-Echo Brushcutter
-12x6.6 Landscape Trailer
-14x6-10 Landscape Trailer
- Wheelbarrow, spreader, shovels, rakes, etc.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughtryLC
Thanks,DLC

I take mine of for many reasons.

1. You can direct the discharge 360 degrees, with the guard you are pretty much stuck discharging to your right side only.

2. You can reach around trees and small obstacles.

3. One arm a dranage ditch or retention pond to get a wider swath, try this with the guard on and end up with a smooth cut, verry difficult if not impossible. THis keeps you saver and avoids the chance of going for a unexpected swim.

4. The trimmer is 4 lbs lighter, even more when you figure in the leverage from being at the end of the shaft.