Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-28-2006, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoboy01
It's called being realistic. And it's better than giving the wrong(bad) advice.

And frankly, how is ANYONE supposed to answer his question?

That's like asking the board to tell me if I'm going to puke this weekend during(or after) my birthday party.

you can be realistic and not be an assss hole ... say No you have no chance of doing it and end it at that
Old 09-28-2006, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMLAWN
Sorry for being a lowlife, disreguard my other posts--
YES YOU CAN__ GO FOR IT HECK MOST MAKE LOTS MORE IN JUST A FEW SHORT DAYS. THIS IS THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN THE WORLD CUTTING GRASS IS THE QUICKEST WAY TO RICHES THERE IS. BUT ME BEING A LOWLIFE WANTED TO KEEP IT ALL TO MYSELF. AND JJ CAUGHT ME AT IT DANG. OK DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THROW CAUTION TO THE WIND!!!!!! WHAT IS THERE TO LOSE. YOU ARE ALREADY ON YOUR WAY TO BEING A MILLIONAIRE

WELCOME TO THE RICH BOYS CLUB-- NO LOWLIFES ALLOWED

PM!!!! You werent supposed to tell anyone!!!
Quick 36 Samurai 16HP Kawasaki
21" Honda HR215
RedMax BCZ2600S Trimmer
Echo SRM230 Trimmer
Shindaiwa LE260 Edger
Stihl BR 600 Back Pack Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl 018C Chainsaw

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com
Old 11-02-2006, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLandscapes
Dont listen to all these negative lowlifes.. you going to see many of them on this site

If you want to make 4000 off of blowing peoples driveways then you better hope to get alot of snow and it will still probably be impossible going by urself

Dont get over your head either there is no need to spend 4000 on a plow when all you have is a pickup truck concentrate on tyhe mowing aspect of your business establish that... Once you have enough money coming in from the lawn business and can afford a plow then go for it. Expand as big as possible is the key but dont grow to fast or you will watch everything crumble slowly

set some short term goals and long term goals and reach them and be realistic...
so, you think that if he waits to make enough in the summer that his clients will not hire some one else to plow for them? most likely they will drop him because he doesnt offer plowing and most people want to deal with one contractor..let me guess you do it part time right?? because if you were full time you would know that he cant sit on his a-- all winter.... so i think that if anyone will come and go, it will be you !!!
scag tiger cub 48
scag 52 hydro wb
stihl trimmers
sthil chain saws
stihl power brooms
york sweeper
echo hedge trimmer
husqvarna bp blowers
echo bp blower
giant vac blowers
new holland loader/hoe
trailers
and more...
Old 11-02-2006, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

listen dude

break it down backwards

you need 4K so what will it take you to get there

ok so you need equipment......1K for a commercial 26" walkbehind

2K for handhelds

you have a truck right

so now you need ramp gate.....1k to make it even

other ****.....you will always need other **** 1K

so you are up to 5K in equipment + your 4k for a plow

another 1k in starting business expenses like insurance so you are at 10K even

now NOT counting all of the expenses to operate like gas/oil/blades/diesel/weed/food/living/pussy you need to get 10K+ expenses to have 4K left for a plow

so now ha can you get that....since you plow you are in a yankee state so you mow 32 times a year or something like that so 10k / 32 weeks is 312.5 that you need AFTER ASS GAS AND GRASS to cover the equpiment and save for the plow

so now say a "yard" is 35 a pop so 312 /35 = about 9 lawns a week to make 312.5

NOW you need to figure out what ass gas and grass will cost you and add that to the 312.5 you need to bring in per week and regigger the numbers
Old 11-02-2006, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

not a bad wayto look at things huh

but in Ohio, I don't think you can count on 32 cuts. My high end customers get 30 cuts, and 6 of those "cuts" are centered around spring and fall clean up tasks. My basic weekly customers recieve 24 cuts per season, this seems to be pretty close to standard.

I aproach my business plans as huh described. What is my end goal? How much money do I need to have to achieve goal? divide by the number of weeks I want to work a year and now I know what I need to make a week. Then I go out and find customers that allow me to earn that amount weekly.

Play with microsoft excel.

DOn't forget to take the time to be legit. LLC registration is $125 and sales tax license is $25 in ohio. Expect to pay $800 or more per year for insurance. I added a snow removal division to my company and my insurance costs were unaffected except that I choose to raise my liability limits coverage on my truck.

I'm not sure that I agree with PM that lawn and plow need to be separate businesses. Both my lawn and snowbusiness are focused on a simmilar goals, my plowing makes my lawn care insurance, phones, internet ect more affordable, cause now use them year round.

I started my lawncare business in September and have made enough money to cover my expenses and buy a plow for the winter. If you start in spring you can make enough if you choose to make enough.

Carl Spakler - "This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff."
Old 11-02-2006, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well a plow isnt necessary this year or even next year if i dont happen to make enough. i think that i will make enough to buy it though. and i figure that i can make enough money with the plow to almost pay for itself. i do plan to go legit this spring and get my license and insurance. that is an excellent way of looking at it "huh" hahahahha i liked that
Old 11-02-2006, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Of course you will make enough! Your BRIAN B!
Old 11-02-2006, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeaaah, thats right!!!!! i AM BRIAN B!!!!!!!! lol
Old 11-03-2006, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarlson1911
I'm not sure that I agree with PM that lawn and plow need to be separate businesses. Both my lawn and snowbusiness are focused on a simmilar goals, my plowing makes my lawn care insurance, phones, internet ect more affordable, cause now use them year round.

I do understand that one company can and do offer both services and yes it is a good thing because, just as you stated, you can bring income in all year to help pay for indirect overhead, which also runs all year. My point was not so much the different business model, but the fact that a tool must support itself by the income it produces. If you spend another 20K a year to set up for snow and only do 15K worth of business, that does not work. Every service or product you provide must be profitable on it's own. Any fixed overhead--truck, insurance, rent, can be divided by the percent of use from the service, but a tool that is only used in that service--Mowers, plows, must 100% be accounted for by the income from that service, That is the only way to know for sure if a service is running at a profit.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive got some good news!
just kidding with you!
Attached Images