Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-05-2001, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Coverage

I have a yard with a grid of evenly spaced Hunter rotors. I get some dry spots during the hotter days. I believe because the rotors are evenly spaced and nozzles are matched to their respective arcs, that I am getting excellent coverage. Therefore I suspect these drier areas are sandier areas.

Any 'best practices' in improving coverage on these specific areas? I am thinking of increases the nozzle size of a couple rotors and then reducing the radius back down to the original size and therefore getting more water over the same circle and hopefully more within the circle. Thoughts?

Also, I have some areas where the grass gets dry within a foot of a spray head...as if the spray goes over this area and unfortunately this area is a 'strip' area and doesn't have opposing spray heads for overlapping coverage.
Old 07-06-2001, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is much more likely that they backfilled the head with sand and you are seeing a area with a high perk rate. If there is any doubt place cups in a line every 2 feet and let the heads run for 15min, the cups will indicate the precip coverage.

If you have dry areas with matched precipitation then you need to ammend the soil, not the head. Try core-airaiting remove the plugs and sweep soil ammendment into the core holes.

Jim L
Old 07-06-2001, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I figured it was sandier soil in those areas. For now I increased the nozzle size but I will eventually amend the soil in those areas. Good idea to core aerate first and then rake some topsoil in.

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2001, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hunters current nozzles for the PGP and I20 rotors offer good distribution. If they are older nozzles and can be replaced with new ones do so. Is the pressure at the head sufficent for good dispersion?

Going with larger nozzles may be a no-no because the water source, main & lateral lines and valves may not be designed for greater flow.

How about jsut running the sprinklers longer? You may not be putting out enough water per week to match the evapotranspiration rate of the turf.