Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-28-2006, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Senile Customers

I've been cutting this one older ladies grass for about 2 years. The first year, she never had a problem with my work. Now she calls every 7 days at 7 in the morning and says stupid things like "Can you cut my grass it's getting long, I walk outside and my feet get wet". Hmmm... maybe it's because IT IS WET AND YOUR WALKING ON IT.

Anyway, now she is turning into one of those "cut it shorter everytime people." I cut it at 2.5-3 inches everytime and will not lower it any lower. I came there the other day and she had weedwhacked extremely low and killed the grass around the perimeter of her house and she said... "take note of that". I felt like slapping her, how the yard looks is what people think of my company. I am not going to get paid to destroy someones damn yard like that. She always says people complain about her yard and has told me that the neighbor said I leave it too high. He's one of those guys that burns out his yard with a super close putting green sh((y push mower. I Know she's probably just making that up to get what she wants. Who the hell tells their neighbor with a better looking lawn how to cut their grass?

I'm really getting aggravated. People have no reason to complain for so long that they just find something to bi*$h about. I'm about to tell her where to stick it. She's like 80 something and she sounds like she's getting a little demented. How do you guys handle senile customers?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatyclippingcoveredguy
She's like 80 something and she sounds like she's getting a little demented. How do you guys handle senile customers?

With understanding.

But I do know where your coming from. I had one early in the season that drove me away - her yard and the apartments she owns.

Now I'm hearing she wants me back. The guy cutting her yard takes two days that took me about one. The money was good so I might stop by and see how she been lately ..
Old 09-28-2006, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've had a few drove me out too, it all depends, some I can tolerate, some I can not.

The best solutions I have found over the years is just listen to them and shake your head a little and go uh-hmmm and remain calm and just be cool, be a little bit like their caring friend and don't worry so much about trying to fix the problem.

I think that's where we get the run-around is when we're always trying to fix the problem.
Just listen to them and be understanding
Old 09-28-2006, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Treat them with compassion and love.
Good book says to take care of the widows and elderly.
Remember, some day we will be there.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I've got one that is an extremely nice lady, but she about drove me nuts in the early summer. She's 91, I called her daughter in June to let her know of the ladies increasingly erratic behavior. They found that she had Alziemers. We have an arrangement now that I care for the lawn as I see fit and bill the daughter at the end of the month. They add a tip on every month for my trouble.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies, its not as if I don't respect her... I just don't know how to handle her illogical complaints. I guess I should just take topsites advice (pretty much what I've been doing already) and just not get pissed off personally. I'm not rude to her in person, I understand I will be old too, I'm just wondering what most guys do in situations like this.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Grimmy has it. I had a customer like this this year. I cut every week for three weeks, she said, "it just dosn't look right." however she could never explain it till I talked to her son, the late husband used a 21 inch wb set on the lowest setting for years, so a golf course perfect lawn was a shock for her. After I talked with her and had tea and cookies, she decided that she wanted it short like that again and only cut it every two weeks. I let a week skip and droped my deck down to 2 inches in 10 in grass and four hours later on a fifeteen mintute job I finished up. I never had some much clippings to hall off before! I did not charge her for it, it looked like a crime scene. I then found the first kid pushing a WB and sent him her way for half the price. I talked to her son and now she is extreemly happy about the lawn.

I am told that she misses me however loves the kid that does come.