Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2006, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Pastures
I have an 04' 6.0 PSD just turned over 50K miles and I love it. No problems whatsoever. Preventative maintenance, just do it.

FWIW, I tow a 8 x 20 enclosed with about 8000 lbs in it daily and my Cat 257B several times per week. I drive it like I stole it too.

Great truck.

In case you dont already know I will be the first to say it. You got R E A L L Y lucky man
Old 09-27-2006, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 2006 F-350 6.0L with 28,500 miles on it and so far not a single problem or complaint. Best truck I've ever owned.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wait till the 7.4 comes out.
As quoted by fellow member or lawn god "Fareway"
We had the throttle cranked and we roostered tailed out of there.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2003 6.0 PSD in our Excursion. I can tell you what the problem with the 6.0 was when they came out. THe first year of the 6.0, the engines were made on the same line as the 7.3, just at a different run time. A good portion of the 6.0 Engines got 7.3 computers and the regulation messed up the injectors. Ford eventually started a buyback program to get these 6.0s off the road until the problem was figured out. Once they figured out the problem, they re-programmed the computers and it fixed them. Our Excursion was a company BuyBack truck, and we have not had any problems with the truck. Purchased in May 06 with 25,000 miles and currently has about 37,000 miles.

BTW, do not hesitate, both of the PSD are good engines. Either one you get you will be pleased with.

Serving the Greater Savannah Area
www.tlc-lawncare.com
Old 09-27-2006, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvscag
Wait till the 7.4 comes out.
LMAO

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 09-27-2006, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have f-550 dump xlt 4x4 crew cab. The manufacture says no hauling rock, dirt, sand, coal, salt, or mulch with this truck. Could be used to haul lumber though. Be careful and not plug your cell phone in the cigarrete lighter, always use power point, because cigarette lighter can't handle it. This to can void your warranty. As far as pulling my john deere 270 on the way back from New Orleans I watched the EGT's, and 55 mph was it with no overdrive. So I pulled it back with my wifes escalade, had to watch out for potholes, 23's not good with loader, but pulled alot better. Wish I would have spent the extra money for the Gm. Maybe a 2006 with 6 speed auto would be nice. If you get a ford watch your egt's on highway.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I gotta say,I think I'd rather have the last6.0 than have one of the first 6.4's. Ive considered the Chevy,but I think the Ford is a better chassis.Im leaning toward the '06 F350,I guess it'll be under warranty........

-Mark
Old 09-28-2006, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

From what I have heard, it seems like most of the problems with the 6.0 have been worked out but I am not sure why they are getting rid of it; though I am guessing for emmisson reasons.

As much as I like diesels, I would only want a diesel in a dump truck or a truck that is going to be pulling a lot. I think having a diesel engine in a pick up for a maintnence route is stupid because of all the start-up and shuting off. IMHO, I think it would make more sense to leave the engine run while out mowing because diesels are meant to run, not start and stop. Just my $.02
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 09-29-2006, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I say go with what you like. Everyone of manufacturers have had there share of problems, I personally went with the 2006 6.0L Superduty. I just hit 13,000miles, all trouble-free. Put an SCT XCal2 custom tune on this motor and you have one heck of ride. HEHEHE

I have yet to meet a person that has had problems with 6.0L. I have heard of the horror stories on the forums, but take a look and see what you see on the road. Everywhere you go you see the Powerstrokes. I have a friend with an 03 6.0L who has not had one problem and this kid beats this truck. It is chipped with an exhaust and is a flatbed hauler with 115k and is still running strong. I have two other friends with 04's, both chipped, exhaust, intake, lifted with 36" tires and they to have 60k+ trouble-free miles. I am partially biased towards Ford, but just remember, the people who have problems are much more likely to voice their opinions then the ones that don't. Do the proper maintenance, use the truck for what it was designed for and you won't have a problem. Just my .02
Old 09-30-2006, 02:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Warranty check with those who own Ford's how great the warranty is, rental car not,exscuses yes. Warranty worth nothing if shop is over their quota for the month. I have had picked up a truck from having a new computer put in, and a different dealer tried not to do repairs because a chip was plugged in computer, I busted them told them to look at my history on this last repair, and they hung up on me and came up with the exscuse that I haul dirt in my f550 4x4 xlt, crew cab, dump truck, and FORD supported the dealer, in their actions. But look at F-150 frames and their problems and they still sold them, like they did in 1997, just bent sitting in parking lot before being shipped to dealer, What would happen in accident?

Last edited by Travel'n Trees; 09-30-2006 at 03:03 AM.