Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Moving Threads

Can someone help me out here. I posted a thread in the Commercial Lawn care about other work to do when the mowing season is over and it got moved to Pros helping beginers general GI discussions. Which I found odd since it has nothing to do with pros of beginers just an idea for work that could be done durring off season. Ok fine I can see that it isn't nessisarly a mowing related question and that it could have been put somewhere else. But here is the thing.

16 Count them 16 post on the first page of Commercial Mowing and Trimming should have been placed in the equiptment forum. And 2 more could have been put into the general discussion. And only 3 of them were at all related directly to LC and not equipment questions and 2 of those were the usual post complaining about low ballers and customers, which I would pose that since you have lowballers and customers in any business that it should be in the general discussion forum. Leaving you with one thread that could actually be benifitial to our members.

The point is you have to sift threw 1000 pages of junk to get to anything that could be considered helpful to people. There are 8008 threads containing the word "toro" under the mowing forum, and only 1453 that have the word "marketing" 2738 contain "contracts" 2007 contain "Taxes" you don't see something wrong with that picture?

Is there nothing we can do about the my mower is bigger than your mower p, which trimmer should I buy, who makes the best backpack blower, that mean customer paid me 2 days late, that evil scrub under bid me, this crazy lady chased me down the street with a stick posts?
Old 09-27-2006, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Try the "advanced search" button.

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 09-27-2006, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dude, I have been a member of this site since 2001 I know how to use the advanced search, that isn't the point. The point is that good threads disapear from sight 2 minutes after they are posted because people sit and start thread after thread after thread after thread about the same thing that 100 other people have posted thread after thread after thread about. Instead of telling the rest of us to use the advanced search feature why don't these people use the search feature and instead of starting a new thread named, "I just got my meg-mow blades" go to the thread titled "Meg Mow Blades." Or instead of starting a new thread called "buy a mower on ebay" go read the thread "mowers on ebay," and post something there.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsylvain
The point is you have to sift threw 1000 pages of junk
Including this thread, which I never should have replied to.

It's called an internet message board.

Welcome to 10 years ago.

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 09-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Moving threads is all about organization. It's not considered a "punishment" to have a thread relocated from the commercial forum.
Take this one for example, it does not belong here. It is a support question, involving how the site is run.
If it was up to most, the majority will post their thread in the commercial forum because they feel it's the most viewed one. However, that is not really the case. A lot of members use the "new post" link at the top of the page, which then will bring up every new thread they haven't read since their last visit.

General green industry discussons, house threads that have to do with the weather such as too much rain, gas prices, tree cutting, what to do in the off season, etc.,

Now, your second part of your post, you are suggesting that we tell members to limit their posting so the forum doesn't get too many threads?
We want everyone to feel welcome here, to feel free to start a thread if they so desire. Sure, we try to encourage the search feature, but it is not mandatory to use it.

All we are doing is trying to keep it as organized as we can, that's the idea behind relocating threads.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Even if you post to an older thread, it will still move back to the top of the list and all older post move down. From that standpoint it doesn't matter whether you start a new thread or post to an old one.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I understand that moving threads is for organization. But only moving some that are out of place and leaving all the rest that are out of place is not organization. I just don't really understand why all the 1000's upon 1000's of "my mower is better than your mower" threads are not moved? There is a really good thread going right now about why companies fail to grow. By tomorrow it will be 5 pages back and in two weeks it will be basically gone. Yes, you can search for it, but unless you are looking specifically for that thread your chances of running into it are slim and none. If you already know the thread exists what does it matter, but what about the other people that have not seen it and could really give some great input for people and others that could really learn a thing or two.

I am not telling you to not let members post, what I am saying is that I think if someone posts an "Exmark vs Toro" thread it should be moved to the equiptment forum, if someone post a general business question move it to where it should go, but don't "discriminate" against some types of threads and not others. My post that was moved was just as much related to commercial lawn care as the "my mower is better than your mower" threads yet mine was moved and the others were not. I saw another post a few days ago that had been moved and when I saw it the first thing that came to my mind, was "why did they move that?" because it had a lot more to do with this business than stupid post about peeping in women's bedrooms to get their rocks off while on the job. Yes, you moved a thread asking about extra work that can be done when the grass isn't growing, but you left a thread about peeping toms. Where is the logic there?

Again, I realize that you can't check every post and monitor everything that goes on in the site but I think there has to be a better way to do this. Maybe you could add a forum for the serious Lawn Care questions. I don't know it is just really frustraighting. I also would think that there would be a way that the thread starter could remove post from their thread or block members from posting to it. Everytime someone asks a question there is always some jerk that disagrees and has to keep instigateing and trying to get the subject off topic.

It has just become such a waist of time to come to this site anymore because you don't learn anything and when you try to help someone your post is lost in a million pointless threads and never seen again.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsylvain
I understand that moving threads is for organization. But only moving some that are out of place and leaving all the rest that are out of place is not organization. I just don't really understand why all the 1000's upon 1000's of "my mower is better than your mower" threads are not moved? There is a really good thread going right now about why companies fail to grow. By tomorrow it will be 5 pages back and in two weeks it will be basically gone. Yes, you can search for it, but unless you are looking specifically for that thread your chances of running into it are slim and none. If you already know the thread exists what does it matter, but what about the other people that have not seen it and could really give some great input for people and others that could really learn a thing or two.

I am not telling you to not let members post, what I am saying is that I think if someone posts an "Exmark vs Toro" thread it should be moved to the equiptment forum, if someone post a general business question move it to where it should go, but don't "discriminate" against some types of threads and not others. My post that was moved was just as much related to commercial lawn care as the "my mower is better than your mower" threads yet mine was moved and the others were not. I saw another post a few days ago that had been moved and when I saw it the first thing that came to my mind, was "why did they move that?" because it had a lot more to do with this business than stupid post about peeping in women's bedrooms to get their rocks off while on the job. Yes, you moved a thread asking about extra work that can be done when the grass isn't growing, but you left a thread about peeping toms. Where is the logic there?

Again, I realize that you can't check every post and monitor everything that goes on in the site but I think there has to be a better way to do this. Maybe you could add a forum for the serious Lawn Care questions. I don't know it is just really frustraighting. I also would think that there would be a way that the thread starter could remove post from their thread or block members from posting to it. Everytime someone asks a question there is always some jerk that disagrees and has to keep instigateing and trying to get the subject off topic.

It has just become such a waist of time to come to this site anymore because you don't learn anything and when you try to help someone your post is lost in a million pointless threads and never seen again.
If I didn't know better, I would think you are not getting your monies worth?
Good luck in trying to find the perfect forum
Closed Thread