Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-15-2007, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

220 Reg.+ (Because of real estate brokers and companies)
Old 03-15-2007, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey 1 cool where are you located on the outer banks. I'm in Newport, Morehead city
Old 03-16-2007, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

53 regulars for 2007. Looking to hire my first full-timer right now. Once acquired, hope to have 84 regulars by end of May.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
53 regulars for 2007. Looking to hire my first full-timer right now. Once acquired, hope to have 84 regulars by end of May.
Wow, thats good. How long have you been part time?
I am just starting this season, taking over about 10 accounts from a guy who just wants to do applications now. One is a small commercial and the rest are resd.cuts. I have got a few new ones lined up but am looking for about 10 or 12 more. But I have full time job as an electrician and would like this to part time for now.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc View Post
I average around 50 for just myself. this year I will be adding at least one employee to keep from burning out in august. 2 years ago I got rid of all the low profit jobs and all the pIA's. I averge right now at about 35% profit to gross ratio and want to try and stay there. How many we will add this year is unknown but probably around 20 and up aerations from 600 to 1200.
you aerate 600 lawns a year? I think I misunderstood something. ya I remember being toast by the end of august. employees are nice, but your profit margin will go down.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haybaler View Post
you aerate 600 lawns a year? I think I misunderstood something. ya I remember being toast by the end of august. employees are nice, but your profit margin will go down.
yeah 600 regular clients at this point for aerations. i want 1200 by end of this year. i realize my profit margins will go down some and willing to sacrifice 5% which overall will put me way better off than if I were doing it alone.

So far I have aerated over 200 lawns this year. another 50 next week along with the accounts. most houses are ticky tacky 3000 sqft and i get around 45=50 each aeration they take maybe 20 mins to do.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Wow, thats good. How long have you been part time?
I am just starting this season, taking over about 10 accounts from a guy who just wants to do applications now. One is a small commercial and the rest are resd.cuts. I have got a few new ones lined up but am looking for about 10 or 12 more. But I have full time job as an electrician and would like this to part time for now.
I've been in business for myself since Oct.2002. I do landscaping/hardscapes/irrigation in between lawns.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Member

I got 7 accounts=30 lawns takes me by myself 3 days. I got a question to the big accounts I admire your hard work but how do you get so many accounts thats the thing I'm struggling with now is stitting by the phone and no phone calls my rates are the same as the next guy. I would love go full time but not enough accounts. my last two customers came up to me while I was doing a yard and wanted a bid, thats been my best way of getting customers but I average off at the end of the year get two new customers lose two next year due to moving or sale of property. any advise would be great
Old 03-25-2007, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

solo work

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc View Post
I average around 50 for just myself. this year I will be adding at least one employee to keep from burning out in august. 2 years ago I got rid of all the low profit jobs and all the pIA's. I averge right now at about 35% profit to gross ratio and want to try and stay there. How many we will add this year is unknown but probably around 20 and up aerations from 600 to 1200.
you say you cut 50 lawns a week by yourself? In how many days? and what sizes do the lawns range from?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casco73 View Post
you say you cut 50 lawns a week by yourself? In how many days? and what sizes do the lawns range from?
Good time to follow up. takes 3 days to cut 50 lawns. well not quite. average is about 4-5000 sq ft of turf. I uped so far another 200 aerations. I have a part time helper doing all aerations and have near all the 600+ what we have picked up done. april is almost here where I end up doing tons of bidding so he is going to work full time from april to may and at that point I will see if he will stay on full time. I would like to have 90 accounts and 1200 aerations by July. we will see but it is an obtainable goal I will shoot for. I have spent 2000 in advertising plus my truck lettering so far this year and am sending out another 5000 post cards in may.