Echo SRM 210
RedMax BCZ 2401
Redmax HEZ 2500S
Troy-bilt 21"
Big Tex 6.5x12 w/prolocker
Getting my truck in August along with license
Old 04-11-2007, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

40 with one employee. Thats 35 weekly and 5 bi-weekly.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Everyone bases a company off of account size. This is all I hear from competitors at gas stations. "How many accounts do you have?" WHO CARES! 200 accounts paying 25 or 2 accounts paying 1M. Profit matters. Not quantity of accounts.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cturfmgmt View Post
Everyone bases a company off of account size. This is all I hear from competitors at gas stations. "How many accounts do you have?" WHO CARES! 200 accounts paying 25 or 2 accounts paying 1M. Profit matters. Not quantity of accounts.
Talk about bringing the dead to life. When talking extremes the numbers are not important because not many people have the 200 or 2 accounts paying big bucks.

For the most part then number of accounts is a easy fast way to judge a business. That with the average property size of the area where one operates.

Everyone has the right to feel proud of the route they have.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Talk about bringing the dead to life. When talking extremes the numbers are not important because not many people have the 200 or 2 accounts paying big bucks.

For the most part then number of accounts is a easy fast way to judge a business. That with the average property size of the area where one operates.

Everyone has the right to feel proud of the route they have.
We had 38 accounts at a place I worked at.

What size of company is that?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I realize the thread is old but people read these long after the thread is cold. You should be proud of any success you have-routes, referrals, etc. Account number still is a very poor measurement of success. Five accounts with little service penetration is not the same as two full-service lawns. Anyone wasting time sizing up the next guy is time you could have been productively growing your business. With many years experience, Id never give competitors figures.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2014, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I realize the thread is old but people read these long after the thread is cold. You should be proud of any success you have-routes, referrals, etc. Account number still is a very poor measurement of success. Five accounts with little service penetration is not the same as two full-service lawns. Anyone wasting time sizing up the next guy is time you could have been productively growing your business. With many years experience, Id never give competitors figures.
Posted via Mobile Device
Why?

We don't have competitors. We are all friends. Theres enough work to go around for everyone that needs it.

Say you service 100 lawns in a town of 40,000. Thats not even 1% of the population.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2014, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

How about this question.. How many of these company's are still in business today that replied to this thread years ago???
Old 01-20-2014, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Nice sentiment and all, but I've had yards stolen by other "friends" from the same church congregation -a MUCH more established businesses.I was 19. He was mid-late 50s and had children my age. Very large company. My equipment dealer is VERY successful at his sales and service business but also has a mowing route on the side. He wants his customers to succeed, so he'll give out some info on his own properties. This season, he had one stolen from him by a customer over a few bucks. This happened only after a friendly convoy at the counter. While "we're all friends" is a great mindset. Not everyone plays by the same rules. I wouldn't steal from anyone, but I've seen it and experienced it first hand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2014, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Nice sentiment and all, but I've had yards stolen by other "friends" from the same church congregation -a MUCH more established businesses.I was 19. He was mid-late 50s and had children my age. Very large company. My equipment dealer is VERY successful at his sales and service business but also has a mowing route on the side. He wants his customers to succeed, so he'll give out some info on his own properties. This season, he had one stolen from him by a customer over a few bucks. This happened only after a friendly convoy at the counter. While "we're all friends" is a great mindset. Not everyone plays by the same rules. I wouldn't steal from anyone, but I've seen it and experienced it first hand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Possibly the customer was looking for a change? Can't always blame it on the person.

Coincidences happen. Yeah its shady to take someone's accounts. But I advertise so much I wouldn't know if it is someone's or not
Posted via Mobile Device