Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2006, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerman21
As far as working in snow, do you mean in dirt or plowing on pavement? Digdeep made some good points, but I have to disagree on the snow plowing aspect. I haven't tried my Deere for plowing, but my Bobcat was horrible! CTL's don't bite down, they float. So if you're trying to push snow where underneath is either icy or packed down after it's been driven on, you can't get traction at all.
Thats the difference between the solid undercarriage on the Deere and BobCat CTL's and the suspended undercarriage on the ASV and Cats.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Xteme jobs it could do that no other machine could pull off would pay for the tracks and more @ repair time is my feeling. How about prepping new lawns (One of my main planned uses)??????? Gotta be AWESOME. No more hand rakeing steep banks,No tire tracks,No compaction,Am I missing the boat here.
SNOW??? STUD, 11'' pieces of Chains between cogs I hear too. Most say Cat ASV tracks are good in snow from what I read. HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP What to add to the fleet?
http://www.PlanetLandscaping.net "Helping keep Earth Green" We use Ford F550 powerstrokes ,Mistubishi cabovers,Kubota Tractors and Excavators, Scag turf tigers,Exmark Lazers,Wright Standers, Shindiawa, Redmax , Finn Hydroseeder's and a bunch of other goodies. International Assoiciation of Hydroseeding Professionals, President: .
Old 10-01-2006, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A hydroseeder out here uses Cat MTL's exclusively to prep. He likes the fact that you get maximum traction with low impact, espcially for slopes. Tracks might work well for you, but for general landscaping I think they'd be a waste of time. If you prep a lot of lawns, you won't be in "extreme" conditions and the tacks should hold up.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 10-01-2006, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag,What is the company name?. I would like his first hand opinion,It could be invaluble info to me(Before sale on mon.). Please@@@@@@@@@@@@
http://www.PlanetLandscaping.net "Helping keep Earth Green" We use Ford F550 powerstrokes ,Mistubishi cabovers,Kubota Tractors and Excavators, Scag turf tigers,Exmark Lazers,Wright Standers, Shindiawa, Redmax , Finn Hydroseeder's and a bunch of other goodies. International Assoiciation of Hydroseeding Professionals, President: .
Old 10-01-2006, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

planet im awesomeing this is throught ho penn? whos your salesman?
Old 10-01-2006, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think the question to ask is, is there enough profit in lawn prep to justify the added upfront costs, and the increase maintainance costs, not to mention a resale value that will not help recoup your investment. This machine will have to more than earn its keep. Your competition using wheeled machines do not have the investment that you will have. Your advantage will be in softer conditions and working slopes. If your work involves a lot of that ( I would say better than 50% of your work) than it may pencil out. If not, no one is going to give you more money to prep a lawn with a tracked machine if there is no benifit to them. Whatever lawn prep goes for in your area is the price you'll get. If the advatages of running the 247 will allow you to do more work, than your making money in theory. However, remember you not only have to make enough money to cover your additional investment (over your wheeled competetion) but put more money in your pocket, after all thats why we are here. That advantage certainly is not in this area. However we are rocky and dry where I am at. Your mileage may vary, but it is something to look into. Talking to someone in Wa. may not provide the information you need as I doubt the conditions both economic and ground are the same. You would be better to find someone that will talk to you in your area that is running a tracked machine. Also talking to someone with 300 hours on a machine is not going to give you enough information. Talk to someone that has put 1500 or more on a tracked machine. That will tell you whether a tracked machine is the way to go in your application.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ksss, Please reccomend a 2 speed,5-6000 lb for snow,and landscape/install work. (I respect your opinion)
Old 10-01-2006, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dirty Water- I didn't think of the suspended undercarriage. I still don't see how that would help on pushing snow on pavement since it's flat? I would think that the low PSI of the tracks would not bite for traction. Cat's and ASV's tracks are also wider than the Bobcat and Deere.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dozerman, since the suspended undercarriages "conform" to the pavement when you curl out the bucket and use it for downforce a larger percentage of the track is still on the ground. Suspended undercarriages flex, so when you push up the front and transfer the the weight to the back, the undercarriages flexes with the move, therefore it keeps the tracks on the ground. With a rigid undercarriage, the rear idler acts as pivot point which in turn lifts the front of the undercarriage off the ground.

Plus Cat and ASV have wider tracks with lower PSI which is helpful in snow. When travelling over snow and ice, think of it like truck tires. Would you rather have a skinny rail tire or a wider, flotation tire? The choice is easily made. Traction is achieved over slippery surfaces through ground contact area and Cat undercarriages would clearly have the advantage over non-suspended carriages in snow.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 10-01-2006, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ho penn Jeff