Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2006, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought the Case 445 because i wanted a little bigger machine than the Cat 257and the next bigger cat was a whole lot more undercarriage crap/parts than i needed to deal with down the road. I am also a big Case fan and they didnt have track skid steers when i purchased the 257. The 257 was a nice machine but seemed a little weak on power. We had the cat for about a year before it was stolen off the front lawn of a job we were working on. The Case i have had for approx. 6months? and it is a power house and my crew and i really like it. It is loaded with a/c , hyd. coupler, heat , cab, ride control, block heater, etc. As far as the controls i like both types. We were used of case controls , because i had a 75xt in the past. The two different track designs are up in the air right now. I cant tell a diffence in the dirt, but we do alot of snow plowing and i am skeptical if the lug/pad type track will grip as good as the cat ladder bar type track. Will know soon as its getting close to plow season here. doug
Old 10-11-2006, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you notice much difference in ride quality between the two machines? I am pleased to hear that owners of 445 machines are as happy as they are with them. I used to have an 85XT and of all the CASE machines I have had I was the least pleased with that machine. I was quite vocal about it and that I believe got me to Witchita in 03 which worked on the prototypes to these machines. I wish they had stayed with the 95XT style loader arms. The engineers say they have not had any problems with the "75XT" style arms, and they are better for visibility than the massive loader arms on the old 85XT and 95XT. They just look weak to me. The fact that they stayed with that design even on the tracked 445 speaks well of the design I guess. I still think that engine should be turbo charged and for whatever reason CASE refuses to do that. Its a big displacement motor but when you get up in elevation they just don't perform as well. My opinion is that when you get into a machine in that weight class it should be turboed and have a two speed (which they do have now but didn't until recently). Ride Control is the cats meow. I can't imagine having a machine without it.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Im wanting to see some pics of the CAT ..!!!!!

We rented a 257B for a month long project we were doing and I found more used for that bad boy then I would have ever thought. Clearing out wooded areas with a grapple bucket was awsome. AC and Heat in a nice cab, what more could ya ask for. The whole month we had it I ran it non stop. Night and Day.

In the end I still cant justify getting a CTL for the simple fact its not a year round machine for me IMO. A 2 speed machine with tires it hard to beat in the Snow Removal dept.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I really like the new Case track machines, really well designed. DigDug, I hear what you're saying about lack of power on the 257, I've talked to a handful of guys about 30 miles from here that bought 257's and they said they hated the lack of power. QPS, a member on here, also has complaints of a lack in power with the 257B. I can assure you the larger Cat tracked machines aren't lacking, 78 horses is just about right. They do burn quite a bit of fuel if you're on the pedal, though.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 10-12-2006, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I thought that compared to other machines of the same size that the big CAT tracked machines were also lacking. I think that the machine has enough power. It is middle of the road in hp spec. which should be enough. It seemed to me that it struggled when forced to dig from a dead stop. Again it seemed to be more of a hyd. issue than a power issue. But the machines certainly are not over powered. The TK has a lot of hp but it does not feel any more powerful than any of the others. You would never know it has that kind of hp. Kinda interesting how the different companies are successful in varying degrees in putting power to the ground. I have never run a 257 but it sounds like it could use more gitty up as almost everyone on this forum who has one, has cited that as an issue.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Kss, yes my Case has two speed, it is nice. The Cat definetly rode better. But in most scenarios i am in fresh dirt and the ride is not a big problem. Here is a pic of the Cat i had until someone else needed it more than me.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2006, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That looks cool. Tell me you were just moving that plow and you don't actually push snow with that set up. That CAT must have went into complete torsion bar compression with that load.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Member

haha, yeah the plows a little heavy. I was just screwing around , we dont actuallly plow with it. I have a FFC 10' power angle plow that we used on that 257.