Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-30-2006, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Ferris 32" Hydrocut.. anybody have one?

Looking at this machine instead of the quick 36. the thumb steering is awesome..... but will look at the hustler trimstar hydro tomorrow. any info on the Ferris would be appreciated.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have an older 36" ferris and I love it. Great machine, unstopable. I have the hydro that is just forward and reverse and uses breaks to turn. ie. the hydro motors are not independent. Still a great machine.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 2005 36" Hydrocut and cannot recommend this mower to anybody. I also had the version that lsylvain is talking about and it is nothing like the new Hydrocut.

The "thumb" steering is not thumb steering. The thumb levers only make the mower go forward or backward. You steer it by pushing and pulling it around corners. I know the system works great on pavement but when you actually get it on grass the mower will wear you out quick.

Do not buy this mower, you will not be happy with it.

Old 09-30-2006, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
I have a 2005 36" Hydrocut and cannot recommend this mower to anybody. I also had the version that lsylvain is talking about and it is nothing like the new Hydrocut.

The "thumb" steering is not thumb steering. The thumb levers only make the mower go forward or backward. You steer it by pushing and pulling it around corners. I know the system works great on pavement but when you actually get it on grass the mower will wear you out quick.

Do not buy this mower, you will not be happy with it.
I will back this post 100%. I demoed the 36" hydrodcut. No way would I recomend that mower to anyone that is not mowing on flat firm ground. In a parking lot it's easy. Get it in some wet grass with wet ground and you better be in great shape.
-TAZ
Old 09-30-2006, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My friend bought a new 36 inch ferris hydro this spring. Very well built and cut was great..really like the height adjustment they have for it..but the controls are not for me..he let me use it on a lawn and could not stand the thumb controls...other than that I really liked the mower..not something I would want to be running all day.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

same as quick 36 then

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ
I will back this post 100%. I demoed the 36" hydrodcut. No way would I recomend that mower to anyone that is not mowing on flat firm ground. In a parking lot it's easy. Get it in some wet grass with wet ground and you better be in great shape.
-TAZ
well this mower is the same as the quick 36 then. single hydro. the only differences are that the deck is deeper for mulching and the deck is adjustable with a hand crank.

so a better mower then the quick 36, but still not a good enough one.

my price was $2,485 if i was to purchase
Old 09-30-2006, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermanator
well this mower is the same as the quick 36 then. single hydro. the only differences are that the deck is deeper for mulching and the deck is adjustable with a hand crank.

so a better mower then the quick 36, but still not a good enough one.

my price was $2,485 if i was to purchase
It's at least, depending on the model 100lbs heavier and allot longer. Both are strikes against you when trying to turn it manually or hold a hilllside. Basic physics. The pivot point being the rear wheels. The longer the distance between the pivot and the casters the more effort is required to turn it. With all the claptrap on top of the deck on the ferris combined with the added length of a 2 blade design make it tough to control.

Hey demo it. If you like it buy it. I demod the hydrocut 36 and went another route. The height adjustment is easier on the ferris if you need that allthough as most posted it's not difficult on the Quick. I don't need it. I set mine and change it as the season changes but not lawn by lawn. The quick gives up nothing in terms of quality of cut and it outhandles the ferris easily. Do a search on this site. Most have posted that the Hydrocuts suck at manuverabilty. I do not agree that it is a "better" mower because it has a floating deck but ford vs. Chevy vs Dodge. Take your pick.

-TAZ
Old 09-30-2006, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ
With all the claptrap on top of the deck on the ferris combined with the added length of a 2 blade design make it tough to control.

I do not agree that it is a "better" mower because it has a floating deck
The front end of a Ferris is very light. You can easily pick it up with one hand. In fact, I can pick mine up with 2 fingers.

The 2 blade design of the Ferris is unlike any other commercial 36" I've seen. They are timed blades which means they rotate within each other's arc. The deck only needs to be as long as a single blade requires, not the added length of 2 blades that are offset.

The Ferris deck is fixed and does not float.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
The Ferris deck is fixed and does not float.
You are correct. Let me clarify what I meant. Although it doesn't float up and down it has a frame all the way to the front caster wheels and the deck is suspended below (not integral like other fixed designs) allowing for the quick height adjustment. The frame, it's hardware for adjusting the deck is substantially heavier than the front end arangement on the Quick. It may not appear "that heavy" but it's heavier than my Quick. and it is quite a bit longer front to rear than the quick 70" overall. All I can say is run the two an make the call on handling for yourself.

-TAZ
Old 10-01-2006, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ
All I can say is run the two an make the call on handling for yourself.
If we were closer I'd swap mowers with you for a while but I sure don't want to buy another SD and hope that I like it. I already have one that is 2 years old with only 50 hours on it and most of those were on my own yard.