Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 10-09-2006, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm a dealer in nc I've to replace i bet 50 or more this year hustler need to do something bout this problem
2002 carryon trailer 5'x10'
1998 42"19horse crafstman
3 shindaiwa t231 weedeater
1995 jeepcherokee straight 6
1995 dodge ram 5.7liter
1998 polaris400 4x4 4-wheeler(spraying)
5'x12" carryon trailer 2005
Old 10-10-2006, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by truevalve
I'm a dealer in nc I've to replace i bet 50 or more this year hustler need to do something bout this problem
I still haven't seen a reply to the question I asked about why Hustler does not use the two sided mounting bracket for their anti scalp wheels. It appears to me as strong as everything else is built on the Hustler why not make this weak point stronger by using the two sided bracket and enclosing the anti scalp wheels. I wonder why people are just starting to talk about this problem, I personally have put many hours on Hustler's and can only remember breaking 3 scalp wheel bolts but I know the areas I am cutting so that makes a lot of difference.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

dealer

I'v have talk with our rep he hasn't heard anything bout this out toward the west
2002 carryon trailer 5'x10'
1998 42"19horse crafstman
3 shindaiwa t231 weedeater
1995 jeepcherokee straight 6
1995 dodge ram 5.7liter
1998 polaris400 4x4 4-wheeler(spraying)
5'x12" carryon trailer 2005
Old 10-11-2006, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, broke my 5th wheel today. Also on my 52" Mini-Z, the left side wheel is pretty close to the edge. The mounting hole is oblong now and the steel is bent out and the wheel actually sticks out at about a 10-20 degree angle. Tried running in middle and bottom holes. Oh well.

At $10 a piece, it gets expensive.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws
I still haven't seen a reply to the question I asked about why Hustler does not use the two sided mounting bracket for their anti scalp wheels.
I think the incorporation of the stripe roller and how that works may be part of the reason why they havent gone to a two sided bracket, maybe?

Old 10-15-2006, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I think ill wait a few years to get a super-mini z If these bolts keep breaking, doesnt sound like any fun to fix them for 10 dollers each
Old 10-16-2006, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The bolts / wheels don't break by themselves.
Either someone hit something to cause it, or the anti scalp wheels are set to low.
This design has been on every single mower we have made in the Z series and FasTrak series since 1999 and on many other brands of mowers.
I have e-mailed this to our customer service guys and engineer's and make them aware of everyones thoughts.

Pj
Old 10-16-2006, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have broken 2 and now have 3 bent.

Between them loosening up, and bending/breaking, I'll need to order some soon.

I have the striping roller, so I have some spares.

On my previous mower (Lazer 60" Ultra-Cut), they use a shoulder spacer and a 3/8" bolt. Never broke one! Over 5 years and almost 2K hours.

I don't think the mounting brackets need to be double sided, (Lazer never was), instead, an insert needs to be added. This way, the stress isn't taken by the bolt, it is taken by the spacer. The bolt simply holds the spacer tight to the bracket.

IF Hustler does decide to re-design this area, I hope they consider a few more holes of adjustment and not just 3.

The top hole is TOO high for 3.5" cutting heights.

The middle hole is TOO far forward.

And the lower hole is just about right for 3.5", but if you have ONE lawn that needs to be cut at 3", you have to break out your wrenches.

Oh, and to those that broke them off....be careful, they FLY far when you run over them!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 10-16-2006, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I bent a bolt once and just went to a bolt shop to get a replacement. I did have to pack it with washers though as the bolt is a little longer but it only cost I think $1.50Au to fix it. I replaced both sides so is a relatively easy cheap fix when it happens again. It is a bugger getting the wheel off the bend bolt though. Have to cut through the bolt!

I kind of like the thought of them being able to bend. If you hit something it will absorb some of the impact. Better to bend a cheap bolt than the deck hanger arm! (the thing under the seat that holds the deck?? what ever its called)
Old 11-03-2006, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I broke and bent bolts first. Replaced them with grade 8 and the broke the center out of 4 wheels. I do a lot of commercial and it's usually jumping curbs or just running into things going to fast.LOL I bought some Innotech wheels and they are awesome. I haven't broke the middle out of one yet. They have ball bearings in the center so they roll better and are stronger. They are made out of something different and wear A LOT better than stock wheels. I think the Hustler wheels are fine if you are careful, but i'm not always so careful and the Innotech wheels make it longer than the stock wheels, even though they are more expensive.

Here is the link to their site.

http://www.lawnwheels.com/default.aspx