Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 11-07-2006, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I, too, have broken many antiscalp wheels on my 2760 xr7 this year. I haven't had any problems out of my 2352. Can the deck lift assist spring be adjusted to make the deck "lighter"?
Old 11-07-2006, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Have broken 2 myself on a 60' SUPER Z went top a grade 8 that was 1/2 longer and has been fine--- bolt was 11$ at dealer at Hware store was 1.50$ (he recomended)
Old 06-24-2007, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I still haven't seen a reply to the question I asked about why Hustler does not use the two sided mounting bracket for their anti scalp wheels. It appears to me as strong as everything else is built on the Hustler why not make this weak point stronger by using the two sided bracket and enclosing the anti scalp wheels. I wonder why people are just starting to talk about this problem, I personally have put many hours on Hustler's and can only remember breaking 3 scalp wheel bolts but I know the areas I am cutting so that makes a lot of difference.
I would like to know the answer on this as well. The two sided mounting brackets with a center sleeve through which the bolt passes are virtually bullet proof, I have had them on my Ingersoll for 12 years, never a problem and I have a rough lot to mow.

I'm probably going to buy a Super Z for next season but this particular engineering decsion has me puzzled (and also looking at other mowers). I would feel the need to fix this by welding on the additional hanger for each wheel (just by looking at the current design I'm certain they would not survive even one season) Welding on a new mower though seems silly and will surely cause the Mrs to come running out to the barn in disbelief. Pj, can you check on this with the engineers?
Old 06-24-2007, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can ask if there are any changes coming in this area, but I am pretty sure there isn't.
I will let you know.

Pj
Old 06-24-2007, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accu-cut Lawn Care View Post
I, too, have broken many antiscalp wheels on my 2760 xr7 this year. I haven't had any problems out of my 2352. Can the deck lift assist spring be adjusted to make the deck "lighter"?
I feel assured it can be, mine has not been changed yet it lifts so easily I have to pay attention when I try to raise it a small amount or it will go into transport lock.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I think we have broken 6 this year, and all but one have been on our new mower. Last years mower has broken only one, not sure what the difference could be? Two that are on the trim side now are bent too, so Im sure they are not much longer for life. I just thought maybe my dealer got a bad batch of bolts, but apparently the problem is a little more common than that.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

As I stated above, they don't need double brackets.

All they need to do is incorporate one of these

This shoulder sleeve is what eXmark uses/used. It takes all stress off the bolt. And as engineers know, a tube is stronger than a solid bolt.

Problem is, we as the end user can't retrofit these sleeves, as the bolt holes in the brackets are 1/2". Maybe a small spacer in these 1/2" holes will allow a 3/8" bolt to pass tightly?

The problems with bending/breaking these stock 1/2" bolts IS something minor, but with the overall stronger built Hustler, makes me wonder why they went backwards with strength in this area.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 06-25-2007, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I totally agree on the scalp wheel issue.

I have a 52 Mini-Z in which the trim side wheel hangs closer to the edge than a Super. I am only a part time solo operator but I have broke 5 or 6 already this year and at least twice that many last year. Yes, some were my fault, but the design of being close to the edge and only one side mounting has caused the most problems.

Very common design among most manufacturers, but VERY poor IMO!!
Old 06-26-2007, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

If the broken bolts is a problem for some, why not take the whole mower to a welding shop and have them make the additional braket?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKS View Post
If the broken bolts is a problem for some, why not take the whole mower to a welding shop and have them make the additional braket?
I personally don't feel that the additional bracket is whats needed. Over 4 seasons, I logged 2K hrs on my Lazer and NEVER broke or bent any of them. And they have just one bracket.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980