Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2011, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh the palms always get pruned like crap. Mostly I see the mexican fans that they wait too long then hack them up so there is only like 2 frawns left. I would agree with what tlc says. I can't go a day doing maintenance without seeing at least 10 different hacks all with unmarked, uninsured, unknowledgable guys cutting fescue at 2" or less and trimming plants like a 2 year old. The thing to remember is charge what you have to to make a profit, there is no way to compete on prices with the cheap guys, just don't even try. I charge an average of 45 a visit for most track homes and more for bigger properties. People if they have it explained to tuem, will value having a guy that knows his stuff and takes a proactive approach. In all my maintenance yards I have a service agreement that states once a month I will check the irrigation for any leaks or problems. Homeowners really love that selling point and plus it tends to lead to more work all for an extra 5 mins a month. Also I have continued to differ myself by becoming certified to maintain pools. Now I market to people that they only have to write one check to the gardener and there pool man a month and its one less person they have to deal with. Homeowners love simplicity. Oh and I am in san diego, mostly east county but I do have 2 coastal routes as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2011, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It always makes me cringe when I see someone who does mow & blow mention irrigation.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hacks and scrubs are everywhere....we have plenty here as well. We do have latino owned companies, but they don't get the customers that want a great lawn. The people who are cheap hire them. Knowing hort stuff(I have an AS in Hort) can get you far with customers. For example, we have had freezes here the last 3 years and our Coconut palms took a beating and many died. I picked up a big account last August in which the homeowner had a latino owned company who hacked everything back, scalped the lawn,etc. She lost 6 coconuts after a freeze. I informed her of getting the palms sprayed with a copper fungicide after this years freeze. Juan and Pablo don't have that knowledge, nor would they care to inform the client. The problem with Florida is that everyone wants the exotic plants, palms,etc. and our climate can screw a lot of stuff up and most companies around here suck.

I got off track there. Do you have any accounts in La Jolla? That is a beautiful and upscale spot.

I think with the right attitude, hard work, and knowledge, you can do well anywhere. I talk to all of my customers so I have a good relationship with them, they trust me, and like my work. Juan and Pablo more than likely can't talk to the customers either.

Another interesting thing I noticed was that the Queen Palms in Cal look different than ours here in Florida(they are everywhere here).
Old 02-18-2011, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I majored in school in irrigation design, landscape design and landscape technology and recieved degrees in all of them. And I don't consider myself a mow n blow. I started out in the construction side installing many irrigation systems so i do feel I am qualified to turn on a valve and check to see if they are leaks. Don't see what the problem is if I did take the time to educate myself and know what the heck im doing. I understand what ur saying and there r alot of people doing irrigation work who shouldn't be but im not one of them

Yes I have accounts in la jolla and point loma.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2011, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are there any estate homes in your area? Accounts that are 1000+/mo??
Old 02-19-2011, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't have any but if u were to find prices like that they would most likely be in the rancho santa fe area. Most coastal homes just aren't that big.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2011, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in high school and am fairly knowledgeable in Bermuda and Fescue lawns. Has anyone from California dealt with other types of lawns, like Rye or Bluegrass? I know there are always rare ones but I'm only referring to ones that are significant enough to the area.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

well alot of the fescue mixes here have some kentucky blue mixed in but none i have seen are all just blue or rye. There are some st augustine lawns to be found, mostly down in older communities though when that stuff was big. I would say that a good 80% or more are all tall fescue.
08' 6x12 enclosed trailer
(2) 21" Snapper commercial
21" Husqvarna
21" Honda commercial
Echo pb251 blower
Echo srm225 trimmer
Echo hc150 hedger
Stihl BR-`600 Magnum
Stihl FS-110 Trimmer
How's that hope and change workin for ya?
It's racist to allow certain people to break the law based on their skin color.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I am in the san Fransisco bay area, specifically fairfield. About 1-2 hours depending on traffic from san Fransisco.

Anyways i looked at the classifieds in my local paper today and noticed a few interesting things.

1st:
one company was named amigo landscaping and they actually had we speak english on there ad...

2nd:
I also notcied a second lawn care company on there ad said "most lawn for $15" Now talk about illegal low ballers
Old 08-12-2011, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Santa Cruz

We just moved back to Cali to the Santa Cruz area, what are some good seed varities to overseed lawns ?