Register free!

Old 10-02-2006, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Bermuda grass in Northern Football field

Four years ago, it was decided to plant Bermuda grass on our high school football field. We are located in Ramsey, Indiana--just west of Louisville, Ky. We have had problems with the side lines where the teams stand during the football game. It just seems that we can't get a stand of Bermuda in this area--both on home and visitors side. The fact we are in a cool zone doesn't help. We have replanted sprigs and this year even tried seeding. Still no luck. With our late warm weather in the spring and then a short time for the Bermuda to get going before the first football game, I have wondered about planting an annual grass like annual ryegrass so that when football season opens, we have some green grass growing instead of bare area. Hope this is clear enough to see what I am facing. Any suggestions?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

the root of the problem (no pun intended) is compaction. the ground is like concrete in those areas. 230+ lbs guys standing in cleats is about as bad as it can get for fields. This is a problem you will most likely never resolve unless you put in some sort of weight distribution mat that you can have the grass grow through.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You may want to check into how Purdue is managing their football field. If I remember correctly, they tore out the old field after last season and are now playing on Bermuda.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips/2006/stad98.htm
Old 10-18-2006, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Another question--what could we plant in the spring that won't overtake the Bermuda but will still be green in the fall for the ballgames? Probably want a annual grass of some sort. Any ideas? Our Bermuda grass from about mid August to week ago had an aera from about 20-20 yd lines and the hash line areas that aren't holding the color plus not growing the best. Course now, after having frost , it is all brown.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I read a story in this months Sports Turf about a company in the midwest that is the expert at growing bermuda in "northern" climates. Do you have a copy of it?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

First I would find out what kind of bermuda you are dealing with. Yukon is one of the more cold tolerant bermuda grasses. Nothing you can do about the grass going dormant in the fall months, I would suggest that you make sure the base saturations of Ca, Mg, K, Na are in the correct ranges and then overseed with an annual rye grass each fall. The rye grass will remain until around June giving you good color in the spring, but quickly dieout when the weather gets hot. You can also use a turf paint to give your dormant bermuda a green color for the games. I would also consider dormant seeding after the season is over with a unhulled bermuda seed.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Matt--no, I don't have a copy of Sport Turf. i am sending in for a subscription to it.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Perhaps Jim @ TURF can specifically send you that copy since its past now. I could probably scan it and send it if Jim can't send it.