Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-28-2006, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Member

I want to get rid of the centipede grass taking over my lawn

I would like some advice on how to proceed with my lawn. Prior to this year my grass was almost all tall fescue but this past spring and summer it was invaded by centipede grass. The centipede grass has taken over more than half the lawn and nothing I have tried has stopped its spread. I was afraid that if I didnít do anything it would take over the rest of the lawn.

A few weeks ago I killed most of the lawn with round-up. I killed the parts already overrun by centipede grass and a portion of the fescue bordering the centipede grass parts.

The parts I sprayed with round-up are completely dead and I was wondering if I should extract the dead grass with a tiller prior to aerating and over-seeding with tall fescue grass seed. Or would extracting the dead grass be unnecessary? Should I just aerate and over-seed over the dead grass?

I donít want to go through the trouble of tilling up the dead grass if I donít have to. But I also do not want the centipede grass to re-emerge. Do you have any suggestions or advice?
Old 09-28-2006, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are worried about the grass cut it down by setting the mower on the lowest setting and then rake it up and bag it. If you had bermuda, it will probably be back and tilling won't help. I don't know what the aeration before seeding accomplishes except the seed/water accumulates in the holes then you yard looks like a patch work design. But maybe things are different up north.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for responding to my post.

I had already cut the dead grass down to my mower's lowest setting and tried to rake up the dead grass. But the roots of the grass are still too deep for raking . I shoud have mentioned that in my original post.

Nevertheless, whether I should till the lawn is a moot question. I tried earlier today and came to the conclusion that it would take too long, be too much work, and be too hard on my back. What I did do though was till the perimeter of the lawn where it runs along the driveway, street, and fence separating my property from my neighbor's. The centipede grass seems to have originated from these areas (particularly along the driveway and street) and then spread inward. I extracted the dead grass and as much of the roots as possible.

I hope this works.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It won't work the grass will be back. A local organic expert says that if you put black plastic down for about a month it will get most of it...better he says than roundup.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

here's a question???

if the centipede was spreading.. it was obviously better suited to your yard than fescue... why not convert your whole yard to centipede... it can be a very pretty grass, and is extremely low maintenance.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 10-07-2006, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Correct....
Old 10-09-2006, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure about centipede grass but we use fusilade to keep bermuda out of our fescue accounts.