Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-09-2001, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Buying Advice, Please!

I am a Homeowner with about an acre, but most of my backyard is a hill. I have tried a Ride-On with no success. I bought a John Deere Commercial 5 speed 21" Mower and it works great, but it outright takes too long. I have been told a Commercial Walk-Behind is the only tool for me. I have narrowed my search to a John Deere GS30, Scag and Exmark Metro. All will be Belt with 36" Deck. I looked at the Gravely 150, but did not like it or the local Dealer. What do you Pro's think? I will use mine for about 30-40 hours a year. Most of you do this in a few days; so I realize even the worst I can buy is overkill for the job. However, $2200-2700 is a big ticket item and I want to be a diligent consumer. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2001, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Member

John Deere

I have a 48" walkbehind John Deere works good on hills takes no time on a acre, has 800 hrs and run like it was new, If you lived in Maine I would sell it to you for a decint price, Want a Walker LOL
Old 06-09-2001, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

:blob4: Scag! :blob4:
Old 06-09-2001, 08:19 PM
Administrator

CSRA Landscaping

What kind of advice is that? NOT VERY GOOD! Back-up your "scag" reply with helpful information.

LaxCoach

Ask your local dealer to demo each unit. This will give you the best opportunity to find a mower that works best for you.

Chuck Keough
Old 06-09-2001, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I personally wouldnt get a scag, had one and didnt like it at all, seemed like a very heavy pile of junk. I love my exmark, very dependable, and does a great job. Ive never evan seen a John Deere, not real big around here i guess. Good luck, I would try to demo each to see what you like, because as much as you use it it should last you about 500 years.
Old 06-09-2001, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

here's my experience

I first bought a gs45 Deere and I paid way too much for it. $3,400.00 to be exact. Deere make good equipment but the ergonomics of this particular unit was terrible. I quickly out grew this unit and I bought a 48" Exmark Merto hp with a 17 hp kawasaki for around $3,000.00 I would prefer and exmark hands down. For several reasons... Exmark has been making commercial mowers for years and years. I have only seen and heard of a hand full of deere walkbehinds in service. I believe Exmark has a better design. The handles(pistle grips) are pitched out farther, instead of pointing straight down (deere). THis feature makes the unit much easier to handle and it doesn't bother your wrists as much. I feel that the Exmark has an incredible deck design. Exmark also has an awesome mulching system if you interested in leaf mulching and recycling lawn clippings. I would sugest that if you have an acre of mowing you should invest in a 48" deck atleast. The deck is only 12 inches bigger but it creates a better center of gravity on hills. The bigger deck will also cut your mowing time but one third of the time because with a 48 inch deck you will be able to mow in three swaths what a 36 in deck will do in four swaths.
If that hasn't sold you on an Exmark maybe this will, My wife works with me and on occasion she will get of the laser(Ztr) and mow with the walkbehinds, and she prefers the Exmark over the Deere. Also if you ever have any questions that your dealer can't answer, the guys at Exmark are friendly and can talk you through your problems. Remember that these machines are designed to run 70 hours a week, 30 weeks a year and I have seen units in use that are about as old as I am- 21 in dec.
Old 06-09-2001, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Chuck & LaxCoach,

Here's my helpful info:
I have a Scag Tiger Cub, 48". Now I know it's not a WB but the punishment I put that thing through and the quality of the cut, as well as the speed of the cut that I get from it, quite frankly, impress me. The key is to keep your blades sharp. Oh yeah, I'm running double highlift blades on it. So, I hope that helps to clarify it a little bit when I say ...

:blob4: Scag! :blob4:
Old 06-10-2001, 03:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

30-40 hours a YEAR

With that little use u could by one of them 33" Troy Built. Not commercial, but will save u close to a grand.
Old 06-10-2001, 03:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Relize this

as a home owner user, you won't be kickin' the crap out of your mower like us unless it falls down the hill. The sales persons will try to sell you the most expensive thing they can. You don't need a commercial w/b. Why pay for 7 gauge steal and a 14+hp mower with a 48+" deck that is only used for 30-40 hours a year? We buy this kind of equipment because we put that kind of use on our mower in days.
Old 06-10-2001, 03:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Many of the exmark distributors are still running the $1999 special on the metro. We just checked into it for MikeLT1Z28.

The exmark metro cut is awesome. Because of deck design and high blade tip speed you can cut as fast as the mower will go.