Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-04-2006, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=LwnmwrMan22]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b

Correct, and you took the step to make sure, you didn't ASSUME that was what you were getting.

If you go to buy new clothes, do you take the first one off the rack, the one that everyone's tried on?? Or do you reach for a shirt towards the back, or to the bottom of the pile, one that no one's gotten to yet??

My point is, is that Steelrat needs to chalk this up to a lessoned learned as well, to be clear, not ASSUME. It needs to be on the sales order, "NEW".

He's lucky that the dealer IS understanding. IMO, the dealer doesn't have to do anything, that the sale was for a 44z. Any lawyer would say with 2 hours, that IS new, that one should know enough that if the mower is sitting outside, that it's going to get some surface rust on it.

All you guys that say "get one out of the crate", where do you think the crates sit???
Yeah, right, the one with big rusted areas is "new." If I go into Best Buy, look at a tv, then go to the counter and buy one, should I reasonably expect that they will give me the television right off the floor? Don't you think the fact that the dealer told me he'd need several days to get one ready would lead me to believe that he wasn't just driving that one onto the truck for delivery?

Luckily, the dealer had some moral fiber, and did the right thing.

How do you think Gravely would have felt about it, had they known? Do you think they want rusted products delivered to people?
Old 10-04-2006, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

All you guys that say "get one out of the crate", where do you think the crates sit???

BOTTOM LINE...can't sell something rusted and not tell the guy...I knocking $x00 off msrp becuase of the rust. Our cars sit outside in a dealer lot, but we don't sell 'em rusted...even if repainted you better tell your customer about it.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if we sell a "new mower" you get a "new" mower. i would call them and tell them you want a new mower out of the crate. if they dont have one give them three days that is how long it takes to get one from anywhere in the u.s
if not tell them you want your money back.if you financed it call the lender and tell them also.a lot of you guys dont know this but if you get the lender involved ie. shefield,s.c.a., american they have a lot of pull they can cut off there finacing and leave them with no lender.bad thing for a dealer. what you have is fraud, dealers like these give the good ones a bad name
Old 10-05-2006, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelratt
1. Someone already pointed it out. I can fix it if it really upsets anyone. Chalk it up to late night brain failure.

2. Not going to argue there. Like I said, it's not the hours that really bugged me.

3. I drove a mower than had sitting in front of the place all season. Just because I look at a TV on the floor at Circuit City, I shouldn't expect them to throw it in a box and give it to me when I buy one. Why should I have to specify that I want a new one? Shouldn't it be their responsibility to point out if they are talking about a slightly used one, rather than a new one? Thats just a ridiculous position to take.

4. It's not their call about what it acceptable, it's mine. This isn't a mower for a contractor thats going to get banged around, its for residential use, and I like to take care of my stuff. I mean, getting food all over my couch doesn't affect its fucntionality, but that doesn't mean that I want to crap it out. I pride myself on how I take care of my equipment. I just gave away a yard man mower I used for the past 7 years. The thing looked brand new (except for the underside of the deck, can't help that) and still starts immediately on the first pull. I appreciate that it's functionality wasn't impaired, but I like my $5000 new items to look, well, new.

Like I said, this was nothing that clear communication couldn't have solved. No need to get hysterical. I've driven up and bought mowers right off the floor before. My latest lazer had 7 hours on it when I got it. I negotiated the price over the phone and had no idea if the unit had been driven before or not. I suppose I could have pitched a fit and requested a crated unit, but then I got it in late March(prime selling season) at their early Feb winter special price, so I couldn't complain. I doubt the GM would have been willing to give me that price if I acted like a jerk and he had to rush to uncrate and set up a new mower for me. And some dealers are not big enough that they have many units sitting around in crates. What you see on the floor is often what's for sale, period. It's just assumed.

As for #2. Not a great choice of analogy. Mowers aren't televisions. TVs on display at stores are on all day long, 7 days a week. They're obviously significantly used. Your mower had very minimal use on it. The difference with a tv is, they're not sold as new if they're floor models, they often run specials on these "floor models" and they are advertised as such. I'm curious why you didn't choose an automobile for your analogy. Oh, that's right, they all have some use on them too, and have been sitting outside in the elements. Or do you only buy cars straight off the transporter from the factory?

Item #4. You're certainly entitled to what you want, I suppose. But comparing a sofa to a lawnmower and expecting the same pristine look is pretty silly, isn't it? It's a tool used to do work to earn money, not a toy. I think your outraged tone with the seller was the problem, not the fact that you just wanted a pristine mower. You acted as if they'd ripped you off when it was just a trivial matter over personal taste. Many couldn't have cared less. I'm sure they're rolling their eyes over you at the dealership and you'll go down in the "PITA file". A wise person told me to be wary of people who go around overly suspicious of everyone's motives all the time, because they are usually basing their imaginings on what they could see themselves doing.

I know you're not a commercial cutter and think we just bash the hell out of our machines, but I have heard guys who obsess on their machine's appearance as opposed to function referred to as "equipment qu**r" , and derided. I knew a guy who failed in the biz who spent more time washing his mowers than using them. He couldn't show up to do jobs on time, but he sure had time to drive by the car wash and powerwash his mower daily. It's a lawnmower, not a Porsche. I'm sure you think you just spent a lot of money, but a $5,000 low end mower isn't exactly going to be a classic in 20 years or anything. So don't sweat every scratch or dent. My '06 BMW just got rear ended by a guy with no insurance and has a scratch in the bumper and a dent in the rear quarter panel. That matters. About $2500 worth. A scratch or rust spot on a lawnmower is nothing. I'm less upset about that car than you seem to be about a lawnmower.

You should just chill. I'm not saying you are wrong about this, just that it's hardly worth worrying about at all, much less to the extent you seemed to. You'd have done yourself a bigger favor just asking for a $100 refund.

Last edited by brucec32; 10-05-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b

BOTTOM LINE...can't sell something rusted and not tell the guy...I knocking $x00 off msrp becuase of the rust. Our cars sit outside in a dealer lot, but we don't sell 'em rusted...even if repainted you better tell your customer about it.

I got mine out of a crate... they had them stacked in their shop, out of the weather! He showed me the one I was buying... it took them one day to prep it and deliver it! If it looked like rain was heading in, they would bring their "floor models" in from outside!

Daves power equipment in Orlando Florida.... Great service!

UltraVac bagger
2004 6 X 12 Emerson open trailer
22" Toro self propelled w.b.
2 x Echo trimers
Echo edger
Echo Blower
Echo hedge trimmer
Kawasaki hedge trimmer

"The bitterness of cheap quality lasts long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten"
Old 10-06-2006, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151
From what I've seen, it seems that Hustler largely goes after Tractor and Farm Implement dealers to carry their machines. It's nothing for a tractor dealer to have 50 - 100 farm tractors sitting outside on display, so I guess they figure why should the lawnmower be any different.

If I don't have room inside or covered outside area for new machines then I don't take them on.
My dealer handles 42 lines of lawn care equipment and he has sold over 450 Hustler's this year, as fast as they put them together they seem to be sold. He would need a 5 acre showroom to keep the amount of equipment he handles covered.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

In the end, to make me happy with my pruchase, I needed a new mower. Rust on my new mower just doesn't cut it, sorry. It's interesting to see that there are people willing to spend thousands of dollars and recieve equipment that already shows wear. Well, to each their own, I guess.

Here is the replacement mower. Maybe they labeled me as a PITA, but they got paid, and I got what I wanted, so everyone should be happy.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...42#post1601342

Pics in the thread above.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelratt
In the end, to make me happy with my pruchase, I needed a new mower. Rust on my new mower just doesn't cut it, sorry. It's interesting to see that there are people willing to spend thousands of dollars and recieve equipment that already shows wear. Well, to each their own, I guess.

Here is the replacement mower. Maybe they labeled me as a PITA, but they got paid, and I got what I wanted, so everyone should be happy.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...42#post1601342

Pics in the thread above.
I'm glad to see they did what was right.
I gotta say I wish my Deere had that easy bail out system, get in trouble with my Z and your in for a ride, once you move the contol handles your trapped.