Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2006, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Landscaping with D6 - Need advice

Hello all

I rented a D6, but my operator cancelled out on me.

I taught myself how to operate it and de-stumped, dug a hole, buried the stumps, and levelled the land (front yard and one side of the house). I was going to use a backhoe to de-stump (taught myself that machine the day before), but the rad blew as it was only a patch job (I found that out after I let the guy know about his rad).

Now I am building my slope, but would like some advice on the best way to do it. I was thinking that I should cut down the soil near the ditch and, once it is low enough, keep taking less and less off the top until I get to the house.

Is this a good way to do it? I am pretty comfortable on the machine now, but I would like some advice on the best way to approach this - like everything else with this task, I am learning as I go.

Thanks for any help!

Chris

PS ... now I know why machine operators buy grease by the case!
Old 11-23-2006, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Udate

Well, I have the job as finished as it is going to get for the summer (obviously, since there is snow on the ground here!).

Here's how it went ....

It was supposed to flood last year so we put this up ...

Excavator starting earthen dike ....

Earthen dike completed .....

Our septic field was in the front so we opted for sandbags there ......

Starting the process ......

3 days and 4 1/2 feet of sand bags later ......

It ended up not flooding, so it was time for cleanup.

Wheel loader removing earthen dike ....

This whole deal really got started on April 12th of this year as that is when everything was melting and the water had nowhere to go. We couldn't find a pump locally so I borrowed one and started pumping water (I ended up ordering a water pump and 150' of hose from Boss Tool Supply. They have a lot of stuff for sale and offer free shipping on orders over $69 ... I'll definitely be ordering from them again).

Our drainage really sucked as we had no ditch in the front along the road Right-Of-Way (R-O-W). That coupled with the diking that went on in our area basically meant that we were in a basin that was really good at holding water. Two of our girls have rooms in the basement and they had to move upstairs because it was leaking. I didn't want them to have to do that every time it thawed out (they were okay last winter) so I figured I'd do something about it.

Once I decided to fix the problem, I decided not to do it half-a**ed and figured that I'd start by wiping the slate clean.

Yard during tree removal .....

I removed the sand bags with the new quad and a trailer that I borrowed. I started right after work every day so it only took 4 evenings to remove about 2,500 sand bags.

Right around this time I hired a backhoe to come in and dig us a ditch along the road R-O-W and install a culvert on our approach. I don't have any pics of the machine working, but it really happened!

Carrying on ......

Weeping tile & new pump-out septic system going in. The installer needed the house to himself for some of this and I had to go to the city, so while he was working I took my only time off during the process and went to Winnipeg for a couple of days.

Front yard before I taught myself to run a D6. The trees are by the barn and will be used as firewood this winter. I figure that there are close to six cords there, but did not actually measure the wood to see if my estimate was close. The branches went to the landfill until I got sick of hauling them and the rest went into one of our pastures. I will burn those once we get a bit more snow.

About 1 hour of running time. I was digging a hole to bury my tree stumps that I had already pushed up ......

After about 3 1/2 hours on the D6 - my first 3 1/2 hours.

After going through the yard and pulling/picking roots it was time for topsoil.

192 cubic yards of topsoil going on .......

New eavestrough, some of the deck replaced (doing siding/insulation next year and will put up a kick-a** roofed deck then), lawn seeded and grass starting to come in. It looks a lot better now and I was even able to cut it once before the snow fell.

That's basically what I was up to since April 12th and after a few months of evenings and weekends it was nice to get done.

The big payoff is that we refinished the basement and the girls are back in their rooms and like it more than ever as we designed the rooms (paint schemes, etc) the way they wanted and most importantly - they are dry!

That's about it.

Next summer will be easy as all I have to do is thin out some shrubs around our remaining trees (in the back yard), re-do the driveway, etc. Nothing too major so I can pick and choose which task I focus on next and just worry about that without feeling like I am in a rush to get anything complete.

Chris

PS .... I figured out the sloping on my own.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks good Chris,

If you had posted the D6 advice in the heavy equipment forum you might have gotten some responses.

So, you found a contractor who would loan you his hold D6? Lucky.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Jon

Thanks. I'll have to remember that tip about the heavy equip forum - I've a few more projects in mind.

Yeah, the D6 was at an hourly rate, but came without an operator. The ones that I had lined up didn't show so I just decided to do it myself. The contractor knows that I have a (relatively ) level head on my shoulders and he actually encouraged me to just jump on the machine and do it myself. I used to operate machines when I worked for the railway so the concept isn't really foreign to me. I kept track of the hours and serviced the machine diligently, so it was overall a great experience.