Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-04-2006, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmcmrhp52
You'd better have good lawyers.
exactly...watch the lawsuits come in for slander, libel, defamation of character and anything else they can dream up
Old 10-04-2006, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

how can it be defamation of character if its true
Old 10-04-2006, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier-Lawn
how can it be defamation of character if its true
i will give ya that...publicizing it on the internet is another story though. agreed?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Slander is also words that are falsely spoken or attacking a person's good name. Seems like if they accept services and don't pay the words aren't spoken falsely and their name shouldn't be held in high esteem either.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, it's just that you're in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Act, and the problem is that this is a federal thing, so it's way up there in the hierarchy... I think honestly you can put the info out and wait for the complaint call, then you remove the info and it's all settled but again like the rest of the guys are saying, all it takes is one person that isn't cool with just that... The feds will be ok with it, but not if the complainant isn't.

What you'll be found guilty of isn't libel or slander or defamation.
As the ruling states, it's harass, oppress, or abuse.

p.s.: If it makes you feel any better, I hate it too... I hate it even more that all we can do is put it on their credit records and send letters and call them, and take them to court (civil at that, it's not criminal)... There literally is nothing in the books of law that guarantees you will get paid, thou I will say that with experience come some pre-screening methods that at least for me weed out most of them (I still get a few here and there, but it gets better with time).
The other thing I found that helps is always chase them vigorously (yes lol). Try to come up with some methods that waste little time and effort but create some lasting memories in their minds (nothing illegal here, credit record issues stay around for 7 years, that alone helps create a lasting memory of sorts)... This, I found, helps cut it down too, I suspect due to word of mouth, I always try my utmost to make sure they do NOT brag to their friends about how easy it was, and I think that helps along.

Last edited by topsites; 10-04-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not going to do it, but I have thought of taking my grass clippings and other debris and dumping it on their lawn. If the dump charges $6 a load to dump rotten grass clippings, leave them a note telling them that you just marked their bill down $6.
I think the sherriff might have something to say about that, but it is a nice thought when I drive by their house.
48" Scag Tiger Cub
36" Exmark Metro WB
22" Craftsman Push Mower
Stihl Kombi w/straight edger
Brown Bed Edger
Stihl Blower & Trimmer

James 1:2-3
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of may kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverence"

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
-Thomas Edison
Old 10-05-2006, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnBrother
I think it's olddebts.com
I checked out that website and it is just a collection agency.Thanks for the info though.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

BMFL...I have a friend who did something similar to a deadbeat that tried to stiff him on some concrete removal. Can you guess where that concrete ended up? And yes, my friend did get a visit from the police.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
No you can NOT do that, it is against the rules explained in the Fair Debt Collection Act and you can get in serious trouble for publically posting said information.

A short of it:
§ 806. Harassment or abuse [15 USC 1692d]
A debt collector may not engage in any conduct the natural consequence of which is to harass, oppress, or abuse any person in connection with the collection of a debt. Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section:
(3) The publication of a list of consumers who allegedly refuse to pay debts, except to a consumer reporting agency or to persons meeting the requirements of section 603(f) or 604(3)1 of this Act.

The rest you can read here:
http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.htm

Afaik you can, however, post it privately or in a members-only section, such as here: http://www.thedeadbeatlist.com/

That Law does not apply to him, he is Not a licenced collection agency the law does not apply. He can imbaras the dead beats all he wants. I would put up signs all over town stapled on pols trees and stakes.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshskis View Post
imbaras the dead beats all he wants.
BTW, that is "embarrass" you are trying to say.

The notion of embarrassment does not work with anything any longer -- few in this day and age even know the meaning of shame.

Explain why revenge is at the heart of such ideas of publishing the names, signs, or other public mechanisms? How did revenge get to be so popular to solve problems? What is gained through revenge? Is "feeling good" in getting revenge really important, and how long does it last?

The last time I went to the grocery store, they only wanted money for the products I wanted to purchase. Having a good feeling through revenge does not buy any products or services from any retailer.