Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-05-2001, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

diazanon and over seeding

Please help!

I have a customer that has large patches of dead grass in the yard.
I suspect that it's insects,(mole crickets)and plan to treat with diazanon after I dethatch.

The lawn is centipede. I plan to overseed with centipede, and I would like to know if there is any reason that I can't do so the next day following the application of diazanon.

Thanks for any help you may give me.

Steve
Old 06-10-2001, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

you have to investigate the area in order to know exactly what insect is doing the damage first.pull up the turf in some of the dead area's.check the dirt for insects under there.if there is no bugs, there might be a soil problem.some times if the turf pulls up in clumps kinda easy,it might be a grub problem.maybe discribe how it looks.maybe odd shaped,all the way dead spots,or circlular area's,getting lager and not all the way dead yet?tell us more?????maybe picture?
scouting to know what your problem is the first step...........
Old 06-10-2001, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First of all Diazanon is one of the most over used organophosphates in the landscape enviornment. This means that you have a much higher risk of the target pest having immunity to the chemical. I would try to go with a newer, and safer, class of insecticide. Merit is labled for Mole Crickets and since timing is critical, it is unlikely you will kill mature mole crickets with any chemical, Merit will give you a very large window.

If you want to verify that it is mole crickets, mix 2Tbs lemon sented dish detergent in 2 gal of water and apply to a area of turf 1 square yard. The soil should be damp when doing this. You will see the immiture crickets poping up to the surface.

Good Luck,
Jim L