Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2006, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't advertised since March. I run one crew which I am on, booked solid all season. I have lost a few bids down the stretch here that would have put me up until the end of the season I have enough small stuff to keep going. It only takes one call to push you up until the end so we will see.

What I have seen this year is a lot of promise for next year, current customers are already talking about the spring so it is looking good for now..........knock on wood.

Biggest problem right now is I am iching it get a dump truck but I am afraid I would be cutting my face off heading into the winter.

Dan
Old 10-05-2006, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have stayed 6 weeks out all year long. I swear if it wasn't for the rain i would of been at 3 weeks out all season!!!

I'm just happy i have enough work for me and my helper. last year i'd do a walkway and have nothing for a week or two.

BTW i haven't advertised since June. I spent 4th of july through labor at one job which kind of killed my whole summer.

Drafto- What size dump are you looking at?

Matt
Old 10-05-2006, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafto
I haven't advertised since March. I run one crew which I am on, booked solid all season. I have lost a few bids down the stretch here that would have put me up until the end of the season I have enough small stuff to keep going. It only takes one call to push you up until the end so we will see.

What I have seen this year is a lot of promise for next year, current customers are already talking about the spring so it is looking good for now..........knock on wood.

Biggest problem right now is I am iching it get a dump truck but I am afraid I would be cutting my face off heading into the winter.

Dan
Wait until you know for sure what your tax liability, if any, will be for this year. In December, if you need the write off, buy one. If not, don't.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Drafto- What size dump are you looking at?

Matt[/QUOTE]

If the price is right any size. I am really weighing my options to make the best decision. I love ETWMans (Jarod's) FL-70 set up, and after doing some research for $28,000 I could have a set-up like his minus a few bodies I don't need yet. I have been looking at some 350's 450's but they are in the same price range as getting the Fl-70 set-up. If I could get a nice f-4 or 550 for the right price I would go for it. Dump pricing is a funny thing, I mean I have seen some 1995-1997 F-350 and Dodge 3500's (all Diesels of course) going for $15-$19,000????

Dan
Old 10-05-2006, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafto

If the price is right any size. I am really weighing my options to make the best decision. I love ETWMans (Jarod's) FL-70 set up, and after doing some research for $28,000 I could have a set-up like his minus a few bodies I don't need yet. I have been looking at some 350's 450's but they are in the same price range as getting the Fl-70 set-up. If I could get a nice f-4 or 550 for the right price I would go for it. Dump pricing is a funny thing, I mean I have seen some 1995-1997 F-350 and Dodge 3500's (all Diesels of course) going for $15-$19,000????

Dan
Dan, don't waste your money on an F-350. Legally, you can't put enough gravel in it to fix a pothole. Unless it's one of several trucks in your fleet for mulch or plant material, the one ton dump just isn't big enough for hardscaping.

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"
Old 10-05-2006, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Dan, don't waste your money on an F-350. Legally, you can't put enough gravel in it to fix a pothole. Unless it's one of several trucks in your fleet for mulch or plant material, the one ton dump just isn't big enough for hardscaping.
I agree.

I have most materials delivered, but just in case, I have a 550 dedicated to hardscaping. In my opinion, a truck in that class is ideal.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbella
I agree.

I have most materials delivered, but just in case, I have a 550 dedicated to hardscaping. In my opinion, a truck in that class is ideal.
Mike, I'm thinking of trading my 350 for a 550 -- like you said, once I determine my tax burden.

What's the GVW?

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"
Old 10-05-2006, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Mike, I'm thinking of trading my 350 for a 550 -- like you said, once I determine my tax burden.

What's the GVW?
My 550 is a 2005 and has a GVW of 19,000. It has the GVW upgrade.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A 19,000 GVW aint squat in terms of full fledged hardscapin.That equals zero payload. And payload is very important.

Either go 26000 GVW or a 1 ton pick up with a 6 ton dump trailer.

Truthfully? An Isuzu or a Mits cabover offers higher payload than Ford or GM. Want a good work truck? Get a Mits.

gettin Back on topic:

I'm hearing that the NY area has been hit the hardest with a slow down in work.

On the otherhand, I know guys in CA that are bursting at the seems with high dollar ($250K) jobs.

We were swamped this spring and I was inflating the costs and still selling left and right.

Then all of a sudden in late July / August work bottomed out. It took me about 10-14 days to realize what was going on. A friend of mine is building a home so I talked him into letting us do the excavating work to carry us over. Then I remembered someone else told me last Oct that they wanted us to do some site work at their place, so I called him and got the ball rolling.

Which in the interium, and with some assistance of a supplier, I have been able to sell a good bit of hardscape work, which with our sold jobs that we havent started yet and a few still pending I think we'll be set to finish the year, and possibly book up a few weeks for next year.

Sometimes these things happen.

Patios are luxuries (sp) just as boat and motocycle sales. When the average consumers money gets tight - we're ALWAYS the 1st to feel it. This is when offering maintenance services is an invaluable benefit.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

On the subjects of trucks: I think most companys that know there bottom line have most materials deliveryed, unless they are so big and have dedicated drivers.

So a hardscape truck is basically needed to bring the men, tools, and equipment to the job. Then pickup an extra yard or two or stone or sand and maybe some extra pavers. And to haul off the extra material/spoils at the end of the job.

I think a 550 size truck fits the bill perfect. The only think is they are 45k new and i can buy a sweet international for alittle more.

I think this post is just me thinking out loud. I proably made no sense.

Matt