Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-04-2006, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got the job, but wrong house.

Got a call to do a quote, just before i arrived the guy rang and left a message to say he wanted to take his kid to the park and how long would i be but as i was driving to his place i checked the message when i got there (5 minites later), i thought he may have gone but i knocked on the door and a lady answered.

I said i have come to give you a price on the lawn, she said o.k how much will it be, $35 was agreeable to her and i proceeded to cut it and it is a regular from now on, when i was nearly finished Greg rang again and asked when i would get there as he is still waiting, this was a puzzle to me and i assured him i am nearly finished mowing it, he said i have not arrived yet, this was an even bigger puzzle, i knock on her door but she has never heard of Greg,,,,,,,it was the right number but wrong street,,Gregs a regular customer to from now on,,,,,,,,,,,,,anyone else got a funny story about mix ups?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you may want to try it again!
Old 10-04-2006, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgropher
Got a call to do a quote, just before i arrived the guy rang and left a message to say he wanted to take his kid to the park and how long would i be but as i was driving to his place i checked the message when i got there (5 minites later), i thought he may have gone but i knocked on the door and a lady answered.

I said i have come to give you a price on the lawn, she said o.k how much will it be, $35 was agreeable to her and i proceeded to cut it and it is a regular from now on, when i was nearly finished Greg rang again and asked when i would get there as he is still waiting, this was a puzzle to me and i assured him i am nearly finished mowing it, he said i have not arrived yet, this was an even bigger puzzle, i knock on her door but she has never heard of Greg,,,,,,,it was the right number but wrong street,,Gregs a regular customer to from now on,,,,,,,,,,,,,anyone else got a funny story about mix ups?
I was delivering firewood a couple years ago, and went up to a house, knocked on the door, and said I'm here with your firewood.

The gal looked at me sort of funny, and said but we just got some firewood last week.

I said "Mark" just called me yesterday and said he needed some wood.

She said, hmph, "Mark" IS my husband, and he usually takes care of that matter, hold on, let me call him.

So while she was calling him, I went back and checked my records, and realized I was in the wrong town. Instead of St. Paul, I needed to be in St. Paul PARK. BUT, here I am, about 15 miles from where I'm supposed to be, and on the same street name, with the same house number on that street, where a guy lives with the same first name AND they burn firewood.

The guys wife and I both got quite a chuckle about all the coincidences with that one.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgropher

hahahahaha Been there done that! I mowed this guys house for 2 weeks after I bought another business out. (it was their old account) finally on the third week this guy comes out in amazement and says "I thought the yard was looking like it had been mowed" turns out right number the real street was 88th COURT not street. A small detail the previous owner left out.
He was thrilled we were taking care of it for him and for FREE!!! arrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! Oh well!
Old 10-04-2006, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, this happened to me about a month ago.

Got a call to mow a property. 1804 Savannah Way. My partner gave the price the night before so I head out to mow it. Can't find the house. I drive UP and DOWN Savannah way about 3 times. Then I see a mailbox that says 1806. Well the direction I was going, the numbers went down. So bam, the next house is 1804.

I mow it, get home, leave the customer a message that it's done and to inform me how many more times they would like it mowed(their mower blew up).

She calls me. "I'm confused, no one has mowed my lawn".

WTF. My partner plainly stated that the house had one strip of grass clearly mowed along the curb. The house I mowed had one strip of grass mowed along the curb, but the rest had clearly not been cut.

The house I mowed WAS INDEED 1804, but the street curved, and turned into a different street. If I would have gone backwards the other way and OPENED MY EYES, I would have seen the correct house with the number on it.

How screwed up is that, two houses within 2 blocks of each other, with the same number, and they BOTH have one strip of grass mowed along the curb and nothing else?

The customer got a good laugh out of it at my expense

I sent the homeowner of the "wrong" house a letter of apology with an explanation, along with a 15.00 gift certificate to Pizza Hut. Never heard from them.

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 10-04-2006, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hehehe, only once has this happened, but I know the feeling well
See I cut the wrong lawn lol
Old 10-04-2006, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did this with plowing last year. I got a call to do an estimate for a house that was on a crazy intersection. The guy wasn't home so we did everything over the phone. I quoted him a price of $45 with was fair for the house I thought was his. First storm I showed up and plowed the driveway. I went to knock on the door to introduce myself and an elderly guy was home. He thanked me so much for doin his driveway for him. He said that he had been sick and could not go and snowblow it. I started to get confused. I said, so that is why you called me? He said i din't call you. Well, come to find out, the real house was across the street up a steep grade. I plowed it for the $45 I had quoted the guy when it should have been more like $65. I never told him what had happened. I still helped out the older guy across the street for free. Partially because he was a really nice old guy that was a retired from the Navy and because I could push all the snow from the other driveway down through his and he didn't care. It worked out well in the end.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When i sold a mowing business before which i ran with my father we were doing the job cards for the new owner and we had two houses together one of which we lost monthe before when a new renter move in.

To cut a long story short we gave him the job card for number 31 instead of 33, the job card said mow front and back,clippings on the compost heap, dog is very friendly etc.

It was 1 foot high the dog was attacking him half the time and the guy refused to pay him for the job and told him to get the hell of his property whoops a daisy, he found the dog and people at number 33 much friendier when we explained the mix up.

BTW Fiveboy01, thats what happened to me the street curved into another street which i did not realise
Old 10-04-2006, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a buddy building houses.....they had almost everything finished and a guy who had purchased another lot on the street stopped by to chat. He asked my buddy what lots they had...he replied like 31, 32, and this one, lot 34. The guy replies, well I bought lot 35 which is a corner lot. They both look at his lot and relize there is a problem. It didn't take long for them to figure out they had built the house on the wrong lot! Long story short, the guy who surveys the lot totally screwed up. The good news the home buyer didn't care, and the owner of the lot agreed to swap lots. It could have been a huge mess I think. This didn't relate to mowing but I thought it was a funny story about mix ups.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i had a friend that laid some sod in some ones front yard, it was the wrong house and explained the mix up later to the owner and he would come back and remove it, the owner said no stay off my property, he did go back later when the guy was at work and removed it and there was never any trouble later thank god .