Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2001, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

have you ever?

Have you ever gotten a electric jackhammer stuck?

A couple days ago we had rented a liuttle 110 electric bosch jackhammer for the rental yard. To break up some slab before we started contrstruction. ANd we got the bit stuck in the concrete ( no mesh or rebar) we picked it up and drop the slab with a 753 bobcat still in the slab. ended up chiping round the bit to get it out.

Just what to ask we suprised the guy at the rental yard when i asked how do you get one unstuck?

alex
Old 06-10-2001, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It all depends on....

the conditions. I've seen guys get hilti's stuck all the time, but 99% of the time its because they're trying to break a slab up with a maul point bit instead of using a chisel bit like a man!

Taking the bit straight down through a slab doesn't do much at all, you want to try to crack the slab.

Like you said, we always end up throwing another bit on and chiseling around it. Once in a while when its not stuck that bad, you can hammer down a little more and then pull up and repeat that a few times while wiggling the bit around. Be careful not to bend it though.
Old 06-12-2001, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Never use an electric hammer always use a 90lbs. hammer and compresser or sledge if it is to small for my jackhammer. I have found that the electric ones are useless as tits on a boar hog.
Old 06-13-2001, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree that electric jackhammers are rather useless. I've seen a laborer with a chipping bar make faster progress than the electric jackhammer.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Now Now!

Every tool has its place!! Like Concreteman9 said, I rather swing a 60 or 90 pounder around to break up slabs too, but there are still uses for the small electric hammers.

We use them a lot to break concrete away from pipes and drainboxes and fittings, and stuff like that. I definetly wouldn't use it for bigger jobs though. Its for finish work and small chipping projects.
Old 06-13-2001, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Member

It doesn't matter what type of jackhammer or bit you use, you must plan you work so that the concrete has somewhere to move. If it is an intact slab, you can save a lot of time and effort by removing the soil around one corner of the pad. Start hammering on that corner. By removing the soil, you allow the inital piece you break room to move. If it is a slab with a bad defect, start working around the defect. The key to easy hammering is making sure the piece you are hammering on has room to shift.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Guido hit this one on the nose. I stuck a 90 lb'er using a straight bit and liked to never get it out. Gotta use them chisel points.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:21 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Why play with it Just put the demo hammer on the mini-X or skid steer! hate to make more work than I need to
Old 06-14-2001, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Paul!

You bet! We get a lot of use out of ours, its definetly the most used attatchment on the Bobcat loaders and mini-x. It does a great job without being "overkill". Its just the right size for most medium sized jobs.
Old 06-16-2001, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I always used air with a 90LB hammer.But electric would be good for like small jobs or places that you can't get an air hammer to.But air will make quick work of it,But if you have alot het a mini excavator with a hammer on it.