Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-30-2001, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

TV Show - Power of Attorney

I'm in the unfortunate process of taking a customer to court for money owed on a project from almost 2 years ago. A hearing before the court commissioner is going to happen next Monday.

I had a message on voicemail from a rep at the TV show "Power of Attorney," and she said it was regarding this case. I haven't returned the call, because I wanted to see if anyone had any experiences along these lines.

My inclination is to avoid having dirty laundry aired at a national level. I can't see how it could ever provide any positive PR for the business, win or lose.

I've left a message for my attorney to get his input too, but what do you think? Anybody have any experiences with this or know someone who did? Would we get to crack folding chairs over eachother's heads?
Old 05-30-2001, 09:52 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Stay away from it!! it's not worth losing your professionalism fo a chance on TV they my just cast you in a bad light.
Old 05-31-2001, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would stay in a conventional courtroom. I guess its real though.
Old 05-31-2001, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's an update:

Just got a Fedex - if they choose this case to air, they will fly us to So Cal for the show, pick up all expenses, and the show pays whomever wins.

And I would get a high profile attorney to represent me - this letter says "Marcia Clark, Christopher Darden, Gloria Allred are just a few..." Didn't Darden and Clark lose a big one a few years back?

And I'd get an appearance fee as well. Doesn't say how much.

Sounds like it would be a neat experience, if it didn't involve the business. It'd make me sick to go back home and hear: "Aren't you the one that made that poor woman cry on TV?", or "Aren't you the landscaper that lost your case on national TV?"
Old 05-31-2001, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Run Stonehenge Run :blob3:

Like you said no need to air your business on national tv.

Mike Nelson
Old 06-01-2001, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto! That can't be good PR for the biz win or lose, just like you said in the first post. I think you already know your answer, and we'll help you agree with yourself. A friend of mine was just on The People's Court recently. Same deal, only without lawyers to represent you. They provided transportaion to the studio, paid $100.00, & had he won his case, they would have payed him the damages. He lost his lawsuit so he just got the $100.00.
Old 06-04-2001, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's an update:

Stonehenge (plaintiff) - 1, defendant - 0.

I didn't accept the offer to have the case on TV.

It seemed that we pretty soundly trounced them in court, and the court commissioner awarded us everything we were asking for, plus court costs and attorney's fees.

Just one more hurdle. They can appeal in the next 10 days. If they don't, the judgement is final. It seems that they'd have such a large hill to climb to win this thing that I hope they decide not to, but I always assume the worst (not a surprise for those who know me) .
Old 06-04-2001, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not to burst your bubble stonehenge, but you just got awarded a judgement, now the big question is will she pay it? Probably will, but it may not be over yet. Good luck, hope you get every penny.
Old 06-04-2001, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

- I've been thinking about that for over a year. As I'd said, I'm a worrier, and plan for the worst. Once the trial portion is over and collection portion begins, I'll begin making plans for garnishing wages. I hope it doesn't come to that and I'm hoping the threat of that alone will compel payment, but I'll follow through if it doesn't.
Old 06-05-2001, 12:56 AM
Millenium Member

Good luck, glad you did not make it to TV.