Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2001, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

fungicide apps. as a preventive for additional revenue?

what do you guys think about preventive applications to drum up addiontal revenue.
or is this a chem lawn thing?
is it common to do this in this line of work?
ant
Old 06-10-2001, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Preventative fungicide applications are only necessary in sports turf, where perfect conditions are needed, and there is the financial reason to keep the turf playable. In general, purely preventative applications in ornamental turf is a huckster's agenda. Of course if one's business is built on profiting by churning sales of pesticides, then one would push such an agenda. The responsible ornamental turf manager would have nothing to do with this idea.

Application of a fungicide may control the targeted pest, but it is not known how many other non-destructive, and even beneficial, organisms are also damaged or destroyed by the fungicide. There have been cases on golf courses of fungicide controls for one harmful species reducing the fungus population in general so that a more harmful variety of fungus can proliferate.

Better course is to assist and educate so that proper cultural practices are followed in ornamental turf management. "Success with a landscape is 99% cultural practices."
Old 06-11-2001, 05:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

well put jim,
ant
Old 06-11-2001, 12:42 PM
Banned

Maybe try a compost tea for extra $$$$, I use this www.humic.com and REALLY like this http://www.humic.com/Hs-usa-label..html Nice and clean, won't stain sidewalks or kill the family pet! Plus it is cheap, so you can resell for a handsome profit and sell a NATURAL product.
Old 06-11-2001, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

in my area with the lawns i take care of(about 120 residental and 30 comercial)red thread is not at all a problem,although snow mold was major!!!!with a couple apps of fert,fall core aerification every year,they grow like mad.they could almost use mowing twice a week.they all look really good.except for the hard to kill clover and ivy.but man do they grow and look green.i'd say fert,fert,and more fert before wasting homeowner's money on funjicide,when they are most likely paying you to fert there lawn anyway,right?just hit them a little sooner.especially if your getting alot of rain.it pushes the fert right through.opps,i didn't mean to go on a dennis miller rant...later.