Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2006, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Planting

Customers have been hesitant about planting. More than one have told me that its too late in the year to plant and its getting too cold. I told them that its fine to plant now, but they would rather wait till the Spring.

When is it too late to plant??
Old 10-07-2006, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what r u gonna plant?
Old 10-07-2006, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACutAbovesiny
Customers have been hesitant about planting. More than one have told me that its too late in the year to plant and its getting too cold. I told them that its fine to plant now, but they would rather wait till the Spring.

When is it too late to plant??
hey what's up?

if you referring to shrubbery, you can plant any time now through spring safely. I've planted trees in winter, as long as the ground is workable ofcourse.
the one headache, is trying to find a decent supply as it gets later in the year. I understand they are not going to get shipments in, so you have to make sure you can get what you can.
I had to go to Wesiener (on victory) once, and paid 3 times what i get elsewhere.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fga
hey what's up?

if you referring to shrubbery, you can plant any time now through spring safely. I've planted trees in winter, as long as the ground is workable ofcourse.
the one headache, is trying to find a decent supply as it gets later in the year. I understand they are not going to get shipments in, so you have to make sure you can get what you can.
I had to go to Wesiener (on victory) once, and paid 3 times what i get elsewhere.

Yea I've gone to them for a few things...they are alittle expensive.
I've got a place out in Jersey that is always supplied with what I need and the prices are so good that it is worth going over the bridge. As long as I'm not just getting 1 or 2 trees.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And to answer im talking about planting trees and shrubs. No flowers or anything like that.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fga
hey what's up?

Have you ever used topsoil from SweetBrook? Its excellent. Dark and rich. Its like gold.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

if you know your nursery well and you know their plant quality youll get good stuff however some places there are plants that no one wanted all year and they arent the best so now more so than earlier in the season watch what you grab
Old 10-07-2006, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACutAbovesiny
Have you ever used topsoil from SweetBrook? Its excellent. Dark and rich. Its like gold.
no, i usually just get my fertilizer from them. i didn't know they even have soil by the yard. ou do mean by the truck right? what do they charge a yard? GreenSide UP charges me $28 a yard.
Just today, i had Green Side Up deliver 5 yds to a job. Same thing, that nice black stuff.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea Sweetbrook has it by the yard...$32 though??? Maybe I should check out some other places. Ive used Fanelli and wont do that again. The price was ok but their service is definatly sub par. Its takes forever to get someone there to help you. I get my fert from Sweetbrook as well. They always have in stock. Ive never used green side up...Ive always been under the impression that they are expensive.