Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-08-2006, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie Chopper has a 2,000 tow rating. Some of the red mowers have a 100 pound rating. I pull a drag harrow, boats on trailers, yank small trees and bushes out of the ground etc. with my Dixie.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on the ZTR he wants...There are varying degrees of hydrostatic pumps both in quality and ability...The HD one pulling trees is a light duty pump where as the TANK is built beefier with higher quality/ability pumps...but not to tow things with...but to run daily...Towing...depending on how often and how much weight each time...with a commercial unit...in a homeowner environment...would be the safest way to go IMHO...But then again I couldn't imagine using anything less than a tractor to tow enough wood to justify getting the thing (tractor OR ZTR) out of the garage or barn...
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 10-08-2006, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Man's law # 681

Man must AWAYS get out his toys from the toy shed to haul wood or anything else.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

The manual for my itty bitty 1434 Gravely says 300 lbs max... check the owners manual
Old 10-08-2006, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpocket
AN aerator will be fine, dump cart whatever. I mean what are you trying to tow? I wouldn't use it to make a boat around the yard or anything simialr in wieght. But a dethatcher, Aerator, roller etc... thats fine. Esp. for the ones with coolers for the hyd. pumps.
I agree, my Warrior 60" lists towing capacity in the manual but it has dual electric fans for the hydros. The capacity: UP to 500 lbs. but it also says it's not made for it, short distances, not recommended but if you HAVE to then we can't stop you, etc...

p.s.: Wood is HEAVY, I can hardly cover the floor of my 6x12 trailer with wood before it has reached it's weight limit.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
I agree, my Warrior 60" lists towing capacity in the manual but it has dual electric fans for the hydros. The capacity: UP to 500 lbs. but it also says it's not made for it, short distances, not recommended but if you HAVE to then we can't stop you, etc...

p.s.: Wood is HEAVY, I can hardly cover the floor of my 6x12 trailer with wood before it has reached it's weight limit.
Thanks topsites....

Dunno how many times I have explained the BDP[ in BDP10 or BDP12 stands for BANTAM DUTY PUMP

You can tow a little with them, particularly on favorable terrain... but they are not made for it.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 10-08-2006, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tell him to keep the tractor as a tow unit and buy a ztr for strictly mowing. If that's completely not going to happen, then just take twice the loads at half the weight.

6.5'x10.5' dual axle trailer-FULL of equip.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I am going to tell him the bad or good news however he looks at it. I told him just to keep the mower he has now it already has a 60" deck.

Thanks Mac
Old 10-09-2006, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I used my eXmark Lazer 60/27 to tow my wifes tahoe the other day....

Her battery was dead and I had to move it to the front of my truck to give it a jump. It towed it pretty easy.

I have also used it to pull a walk behind that went head first over the edge of a pond on a pretty steep piece of embankment...
Old 10-11-2006, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

towing with ztr

Hate to say this, I used my Kubota zd-21 to pull my F-250 and trailer out of a slick yard twice. I couldn't get traction with the truck so I hitched the
zd and pull it about 10 ft. i went and bought a 4x4 truck.
18 ft anderson equipment lawn trailer
6x 12 dump trailer
Kubota B7800 w front end loader/and backhoe
Kawasaki weed eaters
Redmax 800 blower
John Deere 440 crawler/dozier
woods rotary mower
2006 chevy 2500 siverarado 4x4 diesel truck