Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2006, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherlawnguy
I used my eXmark Lazer 60/27 to tow my wifes tahoe the other day....

Her battery was dead and I had to move it to the front of my truck to give it a jump. It towed it pretty easy.

I have also used it to pull a walk behind that went head first over the edge of a pond on a pretty steep piece of embankment...
I would have done the same thing with mine if I had a need to. If there is anything in the Exmark owner's manual that says you shouldn't tow with it, I'd appreciate someone pointing it out to me. I've read through both the "Operation" and "Warranty" sections of my manual and did not see anything saying not to tow with it. As a matter of fact, my dealer installed a tow bar on my Exmark free of charge as an incentive to buy it, and he didn't tell me about any tow-load limitations. I didn't bother to ask, but it looked like the tow bar was specifically manufactured for the ZTR. Another point I'd like to make is that I later bought a Cyclone Rake which, of course, has to be towed. When that thing is filled with wet ground up leaves, I have an idea it weighs almost as much as my trailer would with fire wood in it. That I have towed with the Exmark quite a few times, and it didn't seem to have any problem lugging it around my yard and down to the curb where I dump them. Are the naysayers suggesting that I'll damage my ZTR's pumps by towing the Cyclone Rake? Sounds a little far-fetched to me.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Sure it will pull

I have a JD F687 Ztrack with a 23hp engine. I have pulled a 500 lb roller behind it and also a swisher de-thatching rake. Works just fine. Just take it easy with heaver loads. Just remember when u turn with the ztr the outside wheel will spin very easy with a load on it.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Contacted Scag about my 27Hp Wildcat. They stated towing was limited to 250 lbs.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Towing with a zero turn is not a big deal. The hydro system is much better than you think. Look at the snow plows that are made for zero turns. A snow plow will work a zero turn much worse than pulling a trailer. The other way to look at it is if you were mowing on a hill side the hydro system wouldn't hold up either if they were that weak. The manufacturers just give low tow loads so they don't have to worry about possible warranty claims that were caused by abuse.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryF
If there is anything in the Exmark owner's manual that says you shouldn't tow with it, I'd appreciate someone pointing it out to me.
How about getting the official rating from Exmark themselves...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ght=tow+rating
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ght=tow+rating

Old 10-12-2006, 06:14 AM
LawnSite Member

I've towed a loaded roller (almost 1000 lbs loaded, on level ground) trac-vac, and pulled other mowers.....no problem, with a 5 year old ztr. Also pushed another ztr onto the trailer and this machine is smaller than the one it was pushing. More power than you think as long as the traction is there.....if it balks at what I want to do with it I don't do it.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
This is one of Exmark's replies.

'Thanks for the post. We do offer a hitch for the Lazer HP as well. The part number is 1-651234 and lists for around $35.

You can pull a small cart w/o too much weight in it. We only rate the hitch at 80 lbs. of draw weight. The hitch will handle much more but we don't want to over work the drive train. Draw weight is the amount of force it takes to actually mover the object being towed.

Just remember the Lazer is really a high performance mowing machine and not a tractor. It's sorta like using a Corvette to pull your boat instead of your truck. Each has its purpose.

Thanks

Terry

Wow! Talk about taking a CYA position!!!!!!! I don't know who Terry at Exmark is, but I certainly can't have any respect for his technical expertise after reading the above ridiculous comments.

Also, I wasn't aware that anyone had been using ZTRs for snow plowing as Mowingmachine indicated. Has anyone ever heard of a ZTR hydraulic system failing from that treatement? If not, as the man indicated, towing with a ZTR is not really a problem.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

do it all the time

when ever the need arises, no problems.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2006, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

.... That's pulling a pretty GOOD load .

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.p...2&d=1160709968
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.p...3&d=1160709983

Quote:
Originally Posted by captken
when ever the need arises, no problems.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Check out the Dixie Chopper Flatlanders, 2000lb towing cappacity, I haven't used mine for towing but it is a great machine.