Old 10-09-2006, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather
1. Only DC I have ever seen is on LS
2. WTF is a Dixon I ask?
3. WTF is a BadBoy I ask (again)?
4. Thought Kubota only made construction equipment
5. WTF is a Country Clipper I ask (third time)?
6. Have seen 1 GH in person in 14 years (god awful colors)
7. Lesco is none -existant here in NJ (mower wise) that is
8. Wright is just a little less non-existant than Lesco here in NJ, think I have seen 3 or so
rod, what mowers are popular in NJ?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The grasshopper mower colors are good as far as being "functional".
But past that, I don't care for them either.

I've always thought they would do much better by switching the chocolate color to a darker "weathered" red.
About the color of a dirty eXmark.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 10-09-2006, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrguy
I know of a lot of guys that buy John Deere just because it's a John Deere. Farmers will tell you they love their John Deeres. They might love the color or just love the name. Buying decisions are made on looks, brand, performance. Just look at Ford, Dodge, and Chevy. If you grow up owning one particular brand most will stick with that brand. Just because they like the looks or think it's the best brand. We grew up on John Deere tractors, but we own Exmark and Toro ZTRs right now. In the future, it will probably be all green John Deere equipment just because we grew up on the Yellow and Green.
I have been on John Deere equipment for a very long time farming but never owned a zero turn John Deere mower. I had the chance to run the 777 about a week ago and I still believe that John Deere green and yellow looks the best in everything and their zero turn mower is the best looking one on the market but I have been brain washed by so many years of looking over the hoods and platforms of John Deere tractors and combines.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws
I have been on John Deere equipment for a very long time farming but never owned a zero turn John Deere mower. I had the chance to run the 777 about a week ago and I still believe that John Deere green and yellow looks the best in everything and their zero turn mower is the best looking one on the market but I have been brain washed by so many years of looking over the hoods and platforms of John Deere tractors and combines.
I live in a serious farming area now and you would think that, of those farmers who buy ZTRs and there are a few here, they would buy JD mowing equipment. I have yet to see the first JD ZTR though. I do see a lot of DC, Exmark, Toro and Everride with a few Grasshoppers thrown in here and there. I did however see the biggest freakin combine I have ever seen a few weeks ago. It was green and yellow and took up the entire highway.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnwizards
rod, what mowers are popular in NJ?
eXmark, Ferris, Toro, and Scag pretty much Randy...even JD and Hustler don't have a presence here.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcalhoun

Just look at John Deere. They have always been green w/ yellow accents, except for their construction line. Can anyone ever see John Deere switching to blue or red? Proabably not.
John Deere did try differant colors way back when. You could get your JD in any of 5 colors. It did not work. I think the colors were: Green, Red, Blue, Orange or Yellow.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

functionality is #1 in my decisions......

D

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 10-10-2006, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A majority of farmers (and other residential owners) will still buy a mower that operates with a steering wheel and a pedal.

Some buy garden tractors because they are familar with them and the way they steer. Some buy garden tractors because they want to run other attachments. For some, it's cost.

Even garden tractors have added some curves to their non functioning hoods to entice buyers.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
I live in a serious farming area now and you would think that, of those farmers who buy ZTRs and there are a few here, they would buy JD mowing equipment. I have yet to see the first JD ZTR though. I do see a lot of DC, Exmark, Toro and Everride with a few Grasshoppers thrown in here and there. I did however see the biggest freakin combine I have ever seen a few weeks ago. It was green and yellow and took up the entire highway.
John Deere has not been in the zero turn mower business as long as a lot of other brands but they are coming on strong in this area. I run Hustler myself but if there was no more Hustler's I would more than likely be on a John Deere, I am seeing more and more of them on trailers in this part of the country. You need to drive a combine like you saw in a congested area like we have around Charlotte and Monroe, we take the platforms off and haul them on their on carrier but the machine is so big it can get on your nerves trying to move on two lane roads. The people actually get mad like you don't belong on their roads and they take a lot of chances because they are always in a hurry, it is kind of funny you can see them cussing but they sure want somebody to produce their food so they can eat.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws
The people actually get mad like you don't belong on their roads and they take a lot of chances because they are always in a hurry, it is kind of funny you can see them cussing but they sure want somebody to produce their food so they can eat.
I see that all the time here. I actually almost got hit mowing out by the road the other day when a guy in an SUV couldn't wait and decided to use the curblawn I was mowing to pass in. Dumb@#$.

-TAZ