Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2006, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Calling it off

Looking around today, not much is growing, leaves are not piled up. I called off tomorrow's accounts. First one I called said "you know what you're doing." Second one said "It doesn't look like it needs cutting."

I'll get some stuff done around the house. I could have went out, sliced a little off the top, made a few bucks, but I think that I am further ahead with the customers and will be further ahead with my bride.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:24 AM

Thats why I don't like this time of year. Your are inbetween the seasons. You just know people have had enough of giving you money lol and their grass is tired. I just keep on showing up until they tell me to stop.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
Thats why I don't like this time of year. Your are inbetween the seasons. You just know people have had enough of giving you money lol and their grass is tired. I just keep on showing up until they tell me to stop.
That's rather capitalistic of you Charles! I thought you hated that kind of greed?
Old 10-13-2006, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasswhacker
That's rather capitalistic of you Charles! I thought you hated that kind of greed?
Now if I ever got rich during the summer then it would be greedy. Now for Rodfather, MMlawn, and Gamba it would be greedy
Old 10-13-2006, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I say keep cutting them....Most of my lawns have hit the point of slow growth....but I am going to keep hitting them until Mid Nov.....Each cut I will lower the deck one notch so that gives me at least 3 to 4 more visits per account, plus 2 weed control visits, 2 leaf blowing visits, (rye grass seeding)***for all my high end accounts....keeps the grass green, and keeps me working through the slow months....I old trick I learned from a Vet.....so all you guys that are cutting bermuda grass, this is a great way to earn a few bucks during the off season.....and it will also help you acquire new accounts because they will be wanting to know what you are doing to keep the grass green during the winter.....its blows a lot of people away......Honestly, there is really no off season for us....just a slow period....
Old 10-14-2006, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
Now if I ever got rich during the summer then it would be greedy. Now for Rodfather, MMlawn, and Gamba it would be greedy
FWIW Charles, I wouldn't have it any other way...cha-ching!
Old 10-14-2006, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

calllingit off

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkeeee
Looking around today, not much is growing, leaves are not piled up. I called off tomorrow's accounts. First one I called said "you know what you're doing." Second one said "It doesn't look like it needs cutting."

I'll get some stuff done around the house. I could have went out, sliced a little off the top, made a few bucks, but I think that I am further ahead with the customers and will be further ahead with my bride.
here we don't slow down as much as you guys back east , no snow no freezing just a little rain but not to much all year long no slow season it may get alittle wet in the next few monthes but no big deal
Old 10-14-2006, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do that all the time, I don't call nobody anymore.

But I am hoping for a break, I have been so busy that if it keeps up, I'll have a record month (and I mean the busiest month ever, not the busiest October), by monday I will already have deposited the entire month's anticipated gross lol.