Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2006, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, I use all Stihl 2 cycle products and I don't have any plans of changing. What I am wondering is; for all of you who say to stay away from JD 2 cycle and that they won't last, do you speak from experience or bias decision? Has anyone really put JD 2 cycle equipment to test in this kind of environment? I am curious to know about true experience with JD 2 cycle equipment since it would make Green Fleet more of a reality if they are good quality. I'm not sure if they are manufacturing their own equipment or having it done to their specs, but the clips that I have seen of their manufacture/testing process seems to be stringent.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SproulsMowingService
Personally, I use all Stihl 2 cycle products and I don't have any plans of changing. What I am wondering is; for all of you who say to stay away from JD 2 cycle and that they won't last, do you speak from experience or bias decision? Has anyone really put JD 2 cycle equipment to test in this kind of environment? I am curious to know about true experience with JD 2 cycle equipment since it would make Green Fleet more of a reality if they are good quality. I'm not sure if they are manufacturing their own equipment or having it done to their specs, but the clips that I have seen of their manufacture/testing process seems to be stringent.
Sprouls, you make a good point. I am one that said stay away from JD 2 Cycle and I have only Stihl in My trailer, but I used a residential JD trimmer from Home Depot. Not the same I know. This one was made by whoever makes all of the Weedeater, Homelite, etc. Did well for a residential version. I have a friend in the business that has tried a JD Commercial trimmer and it just did not last, wore out really quickly.

As far as I know, JD is in the tractor and mower business and they have farmed out the production of 2-Cylce to someone else. Who is actually building them, I have no clue. Either way, they do not have the standing reputation that Stihl has and I am not switching.

Being a JD operator as well, I understand what you mean on the Green Fleet deal and I looked at it. I just could not bring myself to spend startup money on un-proven equipment.

I would like to hear from anyone that has actually used JD Commercial 2-Cycle products as well....

Serving the Greater Savannah Area
www.tlc-lawncare.com
Old 10-12-2006, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have spent the last few minutes browsing the JD site looking at the Trimmers, edgers and such. I will say one thing, their prices are higher than Stihl and in most cases I looked at the comparable priced equipment has smaller engines than Stihl offers.

www.tlc-lawncare.com
Old 10-12-2006, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The new deere saws are built by Efco. One of the best saws on the market but not well known. The trimmers were being built by homelite but the new ones are being built by Mitsubishi.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Total Lawn Care; I'm with you on that. I don't have any reason to switch from Stihl products....yet. Their price and quality are a pretty fair match! You will usually see more ancient Stihl chain saws that are still in use that any other brand. But I would like to get [I]many[I] opinions on JD 2 cycle that are based on actual experience so that I can make an educated decision before I will lay the money down. I've noticed the smaller engine sizes too. Sometimes manufactures are able to get the same work done with a smaller engine due to more efficient products. I'm still not sold until I know this for a fact! JD is probably still too new in this market to have any real record for dependability.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Found a couple of things on Efco Chain Saws, but not as much as I was expecting considering they are the Manufacturer for John Deere. You can look and see what you think.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...0517720.html?7
also
http://www.tiltonequipment.com/ (click on the "A Note regarding Efco and Olympyk Products" at the botom of the page.)

www.tlc-lawncare.com
Old 10-13-2006, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

in my opnion nothing can beat stihl or husky in the chainsaw market.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, you have kinda answered your own question, you dont see anyone, ANYONE using deere handhelds so they cant have incredible performance and durability can they? NOPE! Stihl for me.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

well here you go from experience. I bought a JD chain saw right after a major hurracane because it was the only thing I could get. After about a couple of hours of use it seized up. I took it back to a repable dealer and the first thing they tested for was to make sure I used mix gas because they had five other units sitting on the shelf because some peple who purcahsed thers used regular gas. Mines on the other hand had another problem. They corrected it right on the spot for me. There chain saws have a releif button on the side to release compreesion of the piston needless to say they are very hard to pull start. I mean you have to put it on the ground put your foot through the handle loop and pull hard. After about a month it seized up on me again and that's all she wrote. $350.00 down the drain. I now have since owned a husqvana and have not had a problem since. Going on two years now. I can start standing up no problem
Old 10-14-2006, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

brother inlaw got a JD trimmer from the dealer and one of the motor bolts broke just out of warranty.then a week later it blew the side out.for what he paid it should last longer and he only used it at his house.