Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-11-2006, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

JMO but your better off starting your own company building it yourself you'll enjoy it more and be alot more proud of what YOU built. Which turns into a great work ethic and business ethic and your business will profit from this attitude.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

why is the person selling? is all the acct. on a signed contract for 07. is the person going to sign a non-work contract for 2-3 year? which is saying that the person wouldn't start another lawn care in your area for 2-3 years. that would be the first thing I would talk about. you really need to list all the equip. in detail. how long does it take him to mow all the acct.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What about insurance? You would need....I think a million dollar policy for the commercial accounts....I am also just ABOUT to start in this biz but with that kind of income from 40 accounts I may never be able to quit my full time job. Not knowing all the specifics I think I would rather start on my own. My 2 cents
2007 Quick 36 Samurai
19ish Scag 52
2003 5.5 HP Brigs & Straton (I hate gates)
Stihl FS 45 C-E trimmer
16HP Billy Goat Leaf Vac
Echo 210 trimmer
Stihl br 600
Lesco 8hp WB blower, hard to push with a flat
Little Wonder 5hp WB Blower
Little Wonder edger
Echo Chainsaw
Stihl Hedge Trimmer
Spreader
rakes & shovels
10lb sledge hammer
Determination.....

I need a bigger trailer
Old 10-11-2006, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul vroom
What about insurance? You would need....I think a million dollar policy for the commercial accounts....I am also just ABOUT to start in this biz but with that kind of income from 40 accounts I may never be able to quit my full time job. Not knowing all the specifics I think I would rather start on my own. My 2 cents
Sledge hammer, um what is that for, lol
Old 10-11-2006, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks to everyone for giving their input so far. I apologize for seemingly being vague and lacking detail but at this point I'm pretty green and very new

Anyway, I'm going to look at the equipment tomorrow and see if its what I'm looking for. If you all don't mind my asking questions I'm sure I'll be back tomorrow or the next day to get further advice. If I may now, though, I have a couple of questions that go beyond my earlier ones:

1. How do all figure what amount you will charge for a job? Do you base it an hourly rate? Example being you charge $50/hour and a job takes 30 minutes. Do you then charge $25/job?

2. Are you involved in land scaping and lawn maintenance or just lawn maintenance?

3. For those of you that have been around for a while, are you still out there doing the work yourself or have you grown to a point where you can pay others to do the work while you still profit?

Again, I apologize for being naive. But you all seem helpful.
Thanks.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

First of all I recomend riding with him a day or two to get a feel for the business. This will let you know how it will be(time, effort and you can see the yards) I think 40 contracts and a job are way to much. If you figure on cutting 30 of those 40 per week that is an additional 30 hrs.(6 hours a day, Mon-Friday) wow. I am not trying to discurage you, just think this through. I know where your coming from, because I am a college student right now. I go to school 3 days a week, and cut about 20 per week. That keeps me plenty busy. If it seems like a good deal, maybe cut back on your current job and try things. Also if you cut 30 a week averaging $40 per cut that is $1200 a week. Good money.