Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2001, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

12.5 Kohler Command wont start

Just had a stx38 John Deere given too me last week,but am now just getting around to playing with it, but the thing wont start. I have changed the oil, oil filter, gas filter, spark plug and put a new battery in it and it wont start. If I inject gas into the carb and then try to start it, it will run only for a second or two. So if someone could give me helpful tips on haow to get this 12.5 Kohler command started and running I sure would be grateful.

By The Way......This mower has been sitting for 3 years, or as long as Ive been mowing there lawn! Thanks for the help
Old 06-10-2001, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here some things to try.
1) Disconect the fuel line at the fuel tank, if the line is at the bottom of the tank then fuel should run out. If not you probable have a lot of debris in the tank that needs to be flushed out.
2) Follow the line from the tank, you might find a fuel shut off valve, make sure it is on.
3)Next you should find a fuel pump, if the unit has been sitting for three years, it probably needs to be kitted with new gaskets and diaphrams. Sometimes, if you pressurize the fuel tank slightly with compressed air it will prime the fuel pump to get it to work.
4) Recommend cleaning the carb also, if unit has been sitting for three years.
City of San Diego

We enrich lives through quality parks and programs.
Old 06-11-2001, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

John Deere used the fuel shut off solenoid to shut the engines off in the early production STX series of mowers. If there is no power getting to the shut off solenoid it will never run on its on. Use a test light or volt metter to make sure it is getting power. You also may be able to hear the solenoid click when you turn the key on and off. The solenoid is located on the very bottom of the carb and has a wire running to it.
Old 06-11-2001, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jman, That was the excact problem . Thanks much for the help, It had a bad wire going to it so I put a new wire on and she fired rite up. Thanks everyone for all the help.