Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2006, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oaisis in the desert.

I was out looking for a good area to hit up with fliers. Being from Florida, i'm still not familiar with phoenix yet.

I was driving around at 7am chcecking out the towns and housing tracks. It was quite discouraging, everyone has desertscape in the front yards and often no grass in the back either.

Anyway, I was heading back toward home (thinking I didn't want to drive this far north of where I live to mow.) I pulled over and studied the map, and thought, i'm gonna hit up some older areas and see what I find.
TWO blocks from my house I find an whole city block full of nice houses, that have 1/3 to 1/2 acre lots that have grass front and back! The all seem to be "cut because the home owner doesn't want a jungle". Most aren't trimmed or edged, but the houses are well taken care of!
Hitting it up this weekend BIGTIME!
Had to share my excitement, over!

UltraVac bagger
2004 6 X 12 Emerson open trailer
22" Toro self propelled w.b.
2 x Echo trimers
Echo edger
Echo Blower
Echo hedge trimmer
Kawasaki hedge trimmer

"The bitterness of cheap quality lasts long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten"
Old 10-12-2006, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

down load google earth , then punch in a zip code . it wont be real clear put you can tell who has grass and who doesn't
2004 exmark metro hp 36"15 kawasaki

echo srm 261 t
echo pas 230
edger,hedgetrimmer,brush cutter
echo srm 230 trimmer
echo pb 230 Ln blower
echo h c 150 hedge trimmer
echo pb 651 blower
echo pe 260 edger

an't that a kick in the head
Old 10-12-2006, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Florida to AZ. That must be a shock, from jungle to desert. Where does Phoenix get its water supply? Colorado river? I have a feeling the west is in big trouble down the road with the short water supply's. I think they will eventually ration the water in AZ and CA and probably see more of the desert type landscapes on lawns. The only have so much water and Phoenix and the rest of the West coast are growing so fast. Something has to give eventually. Just a thought.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lots of golf courses!
Old 10-12-2006, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200
Florida to AZ. That must be a shock, from jungle to desert. Where does Phoenix get its water supply? Colorado river? I have a feeling the west is in big trouble down the road with the short water supply's. I think they will eventually ration the water in AZ and CA and probably see more of the desert type landscapes on lawns. The only have so much water and Phoenix and the rest of the West coast are growing so fast. Something has to give eventually. Just a thought.
AZ forefathers knew early on water was the lifeblood of this state and we have the majority of water rights of the Colorado. Calif and Nevada will run out of water before we do. Still no reason to waste water.

The desert landscapes only save water if the people programming the irrigation controllers know what they are doing. The other thing is just because a plant will live with less water does not mean it looks good. People quickly learn it looks better with more water so whats the point.

There was a study done here years ago when Xeriscaping was first introduced. They compared water use of the Xeriscaped properties -VS- traditional lawns big shade trees and water loving shrubs. The lawns homes used less water.

I did a consultation for a large tract home development this year. I had to decide who was responsible for a lot of plant death, the builder or the management company's maintenance contractor. The big problem was someone decided it was ok to have the individual homeowners be responsible for watering the trees along the streets. Not with a hose or anything mind you but 3 trees in front of each persons home are tied into their irrigation system. What I found was most people even after more than a year still had the original program that the install crew had put on the faithful Rain dials. 40 min every day.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So where is this Oasis you speak of ?
Old 10-12-2006, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener
So where is this Oasis you speak of ?
West side brother.... over near Thomas and 107th.
I will let you know how it goes, well...as soon as it starts to go!

Was up off Deer Valley and 74th ave, nice places, but the Putting green look was the order of the day up there.... I'm just not equiped like you AZG!

UltraVac bagger
2 x Echo trimers
Echo edger
Echo Blower
Echo hedge trimmer
Kawasaki hedge trimmer

"The bitterness of cheap quality lasts long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten"
Old 10-13-2006, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a couple of properties at 47th Ave and Happy Vally Rd. I don't think I have ever been to 107th and Thomas. Next time you are near 67th Ave and T-Bird Look to the S/E behind the medical condo's. The big house with the Date Palms that looks like a hotel thats one of my clients, great home.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener
I have a couple of properties at 47th Ave and Happy Vally Rd. I don't think I have ever been to 107th and Thomas. Next time you are near 67th Ave and T-Bird Look to the S/E behind the medical condo's. The big house with the Date Palms that looks like a hotel thats one of my clients, great home.
Will do! I get up that way on occasion, usually Honey-do's!

UltraVac bagger
2 x Echo trimers
Echo edger
Echo Blower
Echo hedge trimmer
Kawasaki hedge trimmer