Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2006, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

HF - reasoning is the dealers I spoke with all said that in order to run a blower or the sweeper or even a small grinder down the road - I would be better off with a bigger machine that offered HF.

To take one skid out of the equaition - that would be the New Holland. I have used it for a few days now - and just didn't like the cab, seating inside, climbing in and out and just wasn't all that impressed. Although about every construction company is running NH - they have to be a good machine.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

New Hollands are durable and simplistic. I had a chance to run a LS170 for a bit.

I hated the controls, very dated. But they do the job. They are tough as hell. The concrete companys out here love them.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
AWJ how are you getting along with your TK?
It has it's flaws but overall I like it.
I really like the pilot controls and the large cab.
It is a hard worker and moves dirt well which is it's primary job.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The concrete guys use them here to. I don't really understand why but they do. The controls are terrible. They are very middle of the road in every way, but still very popular. It goes to show you don't need a space age cab and pilot controls to be well received. A simple design and durability still sell.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

New Holland does have pilot controls available according to their website. I bought a NH LS 185.b Hi-flow with 900 hrs after some initial chatter with the hydraulics, I cured that with new oil and filter. It is a simple design that takes the abuse. I have only used JDeeres and New Hollands and have been very happy with my choice.I do Fix/flips here in Colorado and use it to dig foundations, demo,concrete removal, material handling and landscaping. It suits my needs. The best way to make a decision is to try like models from all the major brands! My personal opinion is that these machines take alot of abuse and the more bells and whistles you have the more you will have to fix down the road. Do you like Ford, Chevy or Dodge each one is different yet the same. Some chose out of brand loyalty some chose what suits their needs the best. Good Luck

George
Old 10-15-2006, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Any of you guys buy used? I have seen some nice case's, Deere and Bobcat units around for sale. Everything has around 400 - 1000 hours on it. I bought our last one used and served the purpose great but now it time for the me to get a bigger one to handle our work loads better. Also save alot of money.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can find some nice used equipment, it just all depends on how it was maintained by the previous owner(s). I would go for the lowest hours possible, even if it means a little more money. 400 hours on a skid steer isn't very much at all. If you're buying from a dealer, they should let you demo it for at least a day. Check for any leaks, oil/fluid usage, and try all the switches or accessories to see it they all work. Also, try to grease all the fitting yourself, so you can see if they will take grease. Try to check as much as you can while you have the machine. It will help you see how well the machine was taken care of. Don't forget that dealers have more wiggle room on used equipment, especially if they've had it for a while.

Good Luck
Old 10-15-2006, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1
Any of you guys buy used? I have seen some nice case's, Deere and Bobcat units around for sale. Everything has around 400 - 1000 hours on it. I bought our last one used and served the purpose great but now it time for the me to get a bigger one to handle our work loads better. Also save alot of money.

I bought our 773 used, had 1300 hours on it. We rented until it got to be to much of a hassle since we were scheduling more and more hardscape work. I agree with dozerman take it out for a day to demo. I've been real pleased with this machine so far and like I said I've used the Deere and Cat machines in addition to Bobcat. I don't know if its correct or not for sure but have been told you can figure the life of a motor by the following formula: diesel 125 hrs x #Hp Gas 100 hrs X #HP. Granted condition and previous maintenance schedule has a lot to do with this but a solid diesel with even 1000 hours @ 46 Hp should hold up another 4750 hrs with proper maintenance. Again I'm not certain on this bit of info but this is how a dealer described shopping for used to me. We don't plan to run our machine near that long but it does give some peace of mind to know its not even close to the end of its usefulness.

We will continue to buy used until we reach a certain $ amount in sales volume. I would rather let someone else take the beating in depreciation and buy a machine used. When our sales volume # is hit will explore other options like buy/lease new. JMO
Old 10-15-2006, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would recommend New Holland to any one, the 1999 LX665 turbo we have is the best most reliable machine I have ever seen. Ours now has about 2800 hours and the only expense we have had with it is tires and and exhaust manifold , They are built tough as hell and can take all kinds of abuse. The NH was our companies first equipment purchase and has never let us down since we bought it in 2001. We now have Bobcat but we will be trading in, in about a year and will be looking at the tracked Deere, Cat, Case and New Holland when we make our next purchase. We will stick with a machine that we can get good dealer support from. Just my 2 cents
Old 10-18-2006, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Best Skid loader dealer in NW Iowa

VANS IMPLEMENT LTD.

3465 320TH ST
HULL, IA, 51239
Phone: 712-439-2641
Fax: 712-439-106

Gehl Products